Please sign in to post.

Ireland 5 nights

We are travelling to Ireland in November as part of our honeymoon and are struggling with where to stay and what to do in our short visit. We were thinking of starting in Dublin and possibly finishing in Belfast so to take the ferry across to Scotland. Unfortunately because we are both only 24yo we can not hire a car (It is possible but absolutely ridiculously priced as under 26). We really wanted to just drive around and look at the scenery and some sites but not sure how to do this with only public transport. Any advice would be much appreciated. We could extend our time we leave spain on the 7th and have to be in London by the 18th but we were hoping to see Scotland and Wales briefly also in this time.
P.S. we did see the Shamrocker Adventures 5 day tour which we do like but for November they don't go into Northern Ireland and we would like to see both.

Posted by
42 posts

You can do a day tour to Wicklow. Dublin has a lot to see so spend time there also. Howth is beautiful and easy to reach by taking the dart train. Take the train or bus to Belfast. McCombs Game of Thrones tours are great. They also have Giants causeway tours.

Posted by
449 posts

Hi ksandford:
I was in Ireland for ten days at the end of this past March. While waiting at the bus station in Dublin for my transportation to Belfast I read a brochure for the bus company (I think it's called ErieAnn) which described all of its services. What might be of interest to you is the service which is like the URail pass except that it is by bus. I don't recall the details but it is something like this: for $60 you get a pass that provides three days of bus service within a six day period; additional days of travel are $15. It is valid for travel throughout the island. If this might be of interest you will have to do the digging for details since I threw away my copy of the brochure.

Best travels.

Geor(ge)

Here's the link: http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=337

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are defs doing the game of thrones tour, that sounds great! And I'll look into the bus also as I think this would be much more scenic than the train. I'll also look into the day tours recommended :)