Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

Hello! Do we need international drivers license's to rent a car in Ireland?

Posted by
459 posts

no, the only reason folks need an international driver's license is to translate your home DL into the language of the country in which you will be driving, no issue in Ireland. Be sure your DL is not close to expiration!

Posted by
32835 posts

The official document is an International Driving Permit, not an International Driving License. The ones calling themselves Licenses (which come up at the top of a Google search) are usually scams.

In any event, holders of US state driving licenses do not need IDPs in Ireland. Do check with the rental car company as to their requirements. I have seen instances online where some Hertz locations asked Americans for one.

Posted by
3122 posts

We've always gotten the international permit from our local AAA just so we have an additional form of ID, in case of any lost or stolen passport or regular US drivers license. Or in case we're asked to show ID in a situation where we don't want to dig into our safety pouch to pull out a passport.

Posted by
1172 posts

No need for them. Bring you valid d drivers license and you are good

Posted by
408 posts

So... reading these responses raises a question for me.

I no longer have an American driver's license (mine expired a couple of years ago) but I have a French driver's license, which is, of course, in French and conforms to EU standards.

Because of that, I've assumed I would not need an International Driver's Permit in another EU nation such as Ireland, because the format of the license would be familiar and a police officer could confirm, for example, that the license still is valid and that I am licensed to operate the kind of vehicle I would be driving.

I would be curious if anyone who has looked into this more closely would have a different conclusion.

Posted by
8889 posts

@Bob, correct. An EU standard licence is valid in all EU countries (and a few others like Switzerland) and does not need an IDP.
See here (official EU website): https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/index_en.htm
All EU licences are identical format, so the language doesn't matter. See example here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/DE_Licence_2013_Front.jpg
1 and 2 are the name, 4b is the expiry date, 9 are the vehicle groups (and the codes are always the same) etc.

The comment in the first post by jarrardd is not quite correct
"no, the only reason folks need an international driver's license is to translate your home DL into the language of the country in which you will be driving,"
Language is not the only issue. The IDP also certifies that the document is a valid licence, and what it covers. Police will not know the format of licences from all 190-odd countries, nor what the dates, codes etc. are. It is certifying a foreign document is valid.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello..

I would like to ask as well if it is easy to drive in Ireland?
I never tried driving on the left hand side of the road.

Any suggestion please.

Thanks.

Posted by
189 posts

It's not hard. Just stay focused. Of course it's much easier to start out in an area with out a lot of traffic.

Just remember when you are driving, look out your window you should see the center line beside you. You'll be on the correct side of the road, just like at home.

Posted by
139 posts

Found that being on the other side of the car helps you be reminded to do the other side of the road too. Highways are easy, 2 lane roads are too as long as you start out on the proper side. It was in parking lots where I forgot to be on the left, but parking lots in many countries are just anarchy anyway.

Posted by
8 posts

No, it's not required. Right now I'm arranging for a rental car for our trip, and the rental car sites say you do not need one, as long as your driver's license is printed in English.

Posted by
255 posts

For J:

IMO it's not driving on the left side of the road that is the problem, your brain can figure it out. A typical rural road in Ireland is rather curvy and just wide enough for two small cars to pass each other with around 5 inches to spare, with no shoulders at all, but either high rock walls or hedges right where the edge of the pavement is. That way you can't possibly see ahead and if you deviate by more than inches you lose a mirror. I doubt most Americans can drive such tracks at anywhere above 35-40 mph. Which means that your drive times are longer than anticipated unless you stick to only modern roads, and THAT means you won't see true Ireland. My suggestions - buy the maximum (and costly) insurance for the rental car, and assume you can only drive 35 mph when planning your trip.