Please sign in to post.

Input on Itinerary

Hello - I'm planning a trip to Edinburgh and Ireland for August or September, 2018 and I'd like to get some input. I'm pretty physically fit. I'm going with relatives (one in early 50s, other will be 82, two others in their 50s may also come). They are both able to get around pretty well - the 82 year old is willing to go into a wheel chair if she gets too tired. They probably don't have a great interest in museums, but just want to soak up the Irish culture, pubs, scenery, etc. If this trip is too long for them, I may go alone to Edinburgh and meet them in Belfast. I'd like to spend more time in Galway, but don't know what to cut if I do (maybe either Dingle or Kinsale?).

Day 1 Leave for Edinburgh (late afternoon)
Day 2 Arrive Edinburgh in morning
Day 3 Edinburgh
Day 4 Edinburgh
Day 5 Fly to Belfast (early morning, 50 minutes)
Day 6 Belfast
Day 7 Train (5 hours) or drive (200 miles, 4 hours) to Galway
Day 8 Galway
Day 9 Drive to Cliffs of Moher (50 miles), then Dingle (130 miles)
Day 10 Dingle
Day 11 Drive to Kinsale (95 miles)
Day 12 Drive to the Rock of Cashel (75 miles), then Kilkenny (40 miles)
Day 13 Drive to Rathdrum for family related sites (60 miles), then Dublin (35 miles)
Day 14 Dublin
Day 15 Dublin
Day 16 Fly home from Dublin

Posted by
2471 posts

Dan,
I just returned from Ireland so I'm glad you are spending 2 nights in Dingle. You are planning to see the Cliffs of Moher so you will be able to take the Slea Head scenic drive on the Dingle Peninsula. It has splendid views of the sea that can be seen from a windy road. Dingle has some very good restaurants and pubs, too.
Enjoy!

Posted by
1172 posts

The only recommendation I have is to add time to your drive.. I would add 1/4 to 1/2 based on very narrow roads. The speed limit posted is often way higher than what is feasible.

I would consider cutting Edinburgh and doing Scotland on its own so that you ha empire time to soak up the Irish culture That would then give you more time in Galway and surrounding area

Posted by
857 posts

I would agree with another poster who said to cut Edinburgh on this trip. I would also suggest flying into Shannon and out of Belfast if you can (or vice-versa). Doing this will allow you to add those days from Edinburgh to places like Galway, Dingle and Belfast where you really don't have enough time. Another way to do it is to fly into Dublin, spend 2-3 days there then get the car and do a loop trip around to Galway, drop your car off there, spend a few days, and then take the train to Belfast for a couple of days before flying home.

Posted by
117 posts

Thanks for the good ideas. I was originally trying to fly back home from Shannon which I think would have given me some more time to spend elsewhere, but it seemed that flights out of Shannon were seasonal and didn't happen that often.