Please sign in to post.

Icelandic Air-I have been seeing some outstanding fares to Dublin in May and June of 2019

I have been seeing some outstanding fares to Dublin in May and June of 2019. How are the flights? On time? Good services? Do you have to buy food on plane, or byo? Are seats average or uncomfortable? I usually try to fly BA, American or Untied. However, American and United are becoming a low cost airline in terms of service, but not pricing. So far, BA has been better, but at $400.00 more per person, I am willing to try Icelandic Air, if reviews are acceptable. $499.00 per person, r/t to Dublin is a really good price if flight reviews pan out. So, if you have flown Icelandic Air recently, I would love to hear from you.

Posted by
1103 posts

We like Aer Lingus for flights to Dublin. They fly direct from a number of US cities. Aer alongus usually has a sale in January for this time period.

Posted by
345 posts

John, I found Icelandic Air to be just fine (booked on flights from MSP to AMS a few years ago). The seats are probably bigger on average than American for example, so leg room isn't a major issue. I don't much about the additional costs, but I think they ding you on the checked baggage and so forth. There were some decent in-flight entertainment options at no additional cost and the attendants were helpful. The food options are limited but you can buy food on the flight that looked ok (I usually pack something to eat anyway). The trick is they make you stop in Iceland. The airport there is small and a little chaotic for a short layover, but certainly not a real bother or a reason to not take that airline. You will have a middle of the night / early AM collective experience of everyone trying to line up and find the gates as you wander the terminal, coupled with about 10 seats for the hundred or so people waiting to board. Again, despite the airport being a bit of a hot mess, I would definitely recommend Icelandic Air if the prices are favorable to other airlines as they often are. Happy travels!

Posted by
7280 posts

Am in Ireland right now for another week, having flown in 2 weeks ago on Icelandic. Relatively short flights, compared with taking BA from Denver to Heathrow, then on to Ireland. But that, along with the earlier departure times from the US, have meant worse jet lag and associated stress. We took salads on board, which was a bit of hassle at Denver security, and the onboard food isn’t horribly expensive, but it’s really basic. Seats OK. Bathrooms tiny and few. Price really good. overall, a Mix of good and acceptable. You sometimes do get what you pay for. The price, however, made this trip possible.

Posted by
1014 posts

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I usually try to fly BA, but their tickets are 300.00 or more per person more. Looks like I might be flying Icelandic Air this time.

John Britt

Posted by
3185 posts

We found them to be just fine. No worse or better than the others. The airport in Reykjavik will need some expansion soon.

Posted by
12172 posts

I saw some good fares too. Around $500 round trip to Dublin for a flight next May. I ended up booking Aer Lingus. My direct flight May 10 and back May 27 was only $550. I was willing to pay the $50 extra for direct both ways. That said, I've flown Iceland Air round trip to Paris, through Keflavic, twice and they're fine to fly with. I've also flown twice with Wow but I think they're better for booking late because they drop the price a lot to sell any empty seats.

Posted by
27 posts

We flew Icelandair in July from Portland, OR, to Amsterdam and from Brussels back again. Price was amazing (not finding them as cheap this year), planes were very new, seat room similar to American, etc., plenty of comp liquids, food to buy but we brought our own, loads of movies (many new enough we had not seen yet and bring your own ear buds), free internet, no delays taking off and landing. As many have said, the airport in Reykjavik is very cozy when trying to board, but we met lots of great people from interesting places while in line, so very much worth the great savings! Are you using Kayak? or going through Icelandair?