Please sign in to post.

Iceland/ Ireland

I'm trying to plan a trip to Ireland this fall but my boyfriend is enthralled with the idea of a stopover in Iceland. Unfortunately, icelandair doesn't fly to anywhere in Ireland. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action and its led me to about a million questions....

1. Has anyone done this and if so how?

We have 9 nights total (this includes the day of travel on either end) so it may really be pushing it to do both. The best I can figure with flights we could manage about 4 nights and 4 days in Ireland (with two in Dublin and 2 somewhere else) 1-2 nights in Iceland and 1 night in london (the night before our flight). In terms of travel...

1. Is the best way to travel around ireland via car?

2. Is it practical to think that we could do two different locations in this length of time? I have been to Ireland once and we moved about predominantly by driving and if i remember clearly it was a slow go (but probably my favorite part).

3. If we did 2 nights in Dublin and 2 elsewhere would people recommend Dingle or the Galway area (cliffs of moher, etc)?

If anyone is wondering my very tentative itinerary is as follows:
Night 1: travel, arrive iceland in AM
Day 1-3: Iceland, 2 days and 2 nights, leave very early AM via flight from iceland -> London -> Shannon
Day 3-6: Arrive Shannon around 4-5 pm and drive to Dingle? Cliffs of Moher?
Morning of Day 6: Drive to Dublin
Night 6-8: Dublin then late flight to london
Night 8: London for 1 night then home.

Posted by
398 posts

WOW air flies from Reykjavik (Keflavik) to Dublin, I believe year round.

Posted by
7 posts

I'm actually travelling to Ireland in Sept. with a 2 day lay-over in Reyknjavik. WOW Airlines is currently offering a free layover option.
WOW flights are quite inexpensive but things start to add up when you start to figure in luggage. Travel light and it shouldn't be too great a problem. Also a lot of flights from North America land as early as 4:30 -5a.m. Fortunately, there are some very enterprising Icelanders with helpful blogs such as "What to do in Reyknjavik at 5a.m." providing names of cafes which open early for breakfast, walking tours etc.

Posted by
1 posts

Thanks for the information! I'm in the very initial phases of planning a trip to Icleand and Ireland.