Please sign in to post.

Hotel or AirBNB

Party of 4 (me, my aunt, my daughter and daughers BF) going to Dublin this May. What is the best area to stay in that is close to many of the major must-sees? Also should we do an Airbnb or hotel?

Posted by
15064 posts

Whatever type of accomodation you choose is personal preference. Some will tell you a hotel, some will tell you an AirBnb and some will tell you a B & B.

You could always stay in an Aparthotel. Staycity is one. It's an apartment style room but run like a hotel.

Dublin "must sees" are spread out so there is no one area close to everything.

I personally prefer staying south of the River closer to the Trinity College/St Stephens Square/Merrion Square/Christchurch areas. (Staying away from Temple Bar as it can get noisey.)

Others will have their own favorites.

Posted by
87 posts

How long will you be in Dublin?
If it's just a night or two, a small hotel or B&B might be your best bet, even though you'd need 2 rooms. As others have said, you'll have a chance to meet local people, ask questions, and get information and advice about the city.

If you're staying a week or so, a self-catering apartment will be more economical, and will let you have meals in when you want. You'd definitely be more on your own, though, which might be too isolating, which may defeat the purpose of travel.

As for the part of town, personally I prefer walking distance to all the action. That means south of the river, and (roughly) within walking distance of Trinity College. Maybe avoid the area around Temple Bar, which can be noisy at night.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
7377 posts

On our last trip, we had B&B’s out in the country and in small towns, but for Dublin, we rented an apartment. I’m not certain now whether it was thru Airbnb or Vrbo, but having a kitchen, with a dishwasher, a clothes washing machine, made all the difference.

Our place was extremely convenient, maybe 4 blocks west of the GPO. It was quiet, but close to sights, restaurants, and the threatre.

Posted by
16 posts

In Dublin, if you can find a nice airbnb, I always prefer an airbnb, because like most European hotels, a hotel room would be small. I agree with the comment above...stay south of the river. You will be tempted to book something that advertises it is close to certain tourist attractions like Guiness or Temple Bar, but Dublin is a very small, walkable city, and there are nicer areas to stay in, that are still an easy distance to the main attractions. Merrion square area is wonderful as someone stated above. We lived for two years in the neighborhood of Ranelagh, which is amazing and less than a mile to the main attractions, but where you will have a more authentic, nice village feel. I am happy to take a look at places you are considering and tell you yay or nay!