Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in March 2017

Hi,

My fiancée and I are starting to plan a Ireland Honeymoon in March 2017. We are planning to rent a car an hope to have three different spots to stay (most likely Dublbin, Dingle and other spot) and then to take day trips from those spots. Any recommendations of where to stay, what to see, and any good travel guides out there?

Thank you!!

Posted by
398 posts

How long will you be there? I agree that Dublin and Dingle are top choices. What types of things interest you and your fiancee? Castles? Museums? Small towns or cities? Does Northern Ireland interest you?

Posted by
8 posts

We hope to be in Ireland for at least 2 weeks. We are interested in castles, museums, country side, small towns and bigger cities (like Dublin and possibly Galway). Northern Ireland is an interest but not sure if it makes sense given the amount of time we will be there. We will also be there over St. Patrick's day so if we welcome any advice about that as well!

Posted by
398 posts

With two full weeks, I'd say spend some time in Dublin, some time in Kilkenny, some time in Dingle, and end in Galway. Fly into Dublin and home through Shannon, if possible. Don't pick up your rental car until you leave Dublin, you won't want or need a car in the city itself.

On your way from Dublin to Kilkenny, make stops at the Powerscourt house and gardens, as well as at Glendalough - at the latter, see the ruins and do some hiking. This makes for a very full day, so get a good start.

On your way from Kilkenny to Dingle, stop at the Rock of Cashel.

On your way from Dingle to Galway, stop at the Cliffs of Moher and drive through/make stops in the Burren.

In Dublin, don't miss Kilmainham Gaol and the archaeology museum (the latter is free). From Dublin, do a day trip to the Bru na Boinne. In Dingle, do the Slea Head Drive and consider a day trip to Skellig Michael. In Galway, consider a trip to the Aran Islands for a day, and/or into the heart of Ireland to Tullamore (castle and whiskey tasting center) and stop at Clonmacnoise (ancient monastic ruins).

Honestly there is so, so much to do. These are just suggestions, by no means an all inclusive list.

Posted by
3122 posts

Surrounding St. Patrick's Day I would say to be somewhere outside of Dublin. Dublin is a big party city anyway, and those who drink regularly refer to St. Patrick's Day as "amateur hour," meaning you get goofballs who really, really don't know how to behave. Sure, people in the smaller towns will be partying too, but it's likely to be fun and enjoyable for you, whereas in Dublin it could easily just be obnoxious.