Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in Ireland!

I'd love some advice on whether our itinerary is good for a 10 night trip to Ireland in August for our Honeymoon!

Day 1: Land in Dublin in the morning (stay over night)
Day 2: Dublin
Day 3: Pick up rental car and leave Dublin drive to Portmagee (Portmagee for 3 nights)
Day 4: Stay in Portmagee and drive the Ring of Kerry
Day 5: Portmagee - Possible Skellig Island Tour
Day 6: Leave Portmagee and Head to Dingle - drive dingle peninsula (Stay in Dingle for the night)
Day 7: Leave Dingle head to Galway (possibly see the cliffs of Moher if we have time if not we will come back a different day.
Day 8 - 10: Galway (day trips to Aran islands, tour the city, cliffs of moher etc.
Day 11: Fly out of Shannon

We don't want to pack too much in one day and are just going to take our time in each place we are staying. We also didn't want to stay in too many places because we didn't want to feel like we were having to constantly pack and re-pack the whole trip. Originally we just wanted to take it day by day and stay in B&Bs wherever but since it's the busy season we realized we needed to book places a head of time. This is for our honeymoon so any suggestions would be great!

Posted by
1078 posts

Instead of Galway drive on north to Ashford Castle and stay there, it will be a honeymoon experience you will remember for the rest of your life! While your at the castle sign up for a Falconry Class, this a true backdoor experience as you learn to work with your falcon and get to walk through the forest. There are many activities at the castle so you won't be bored, the restaurants are great and the staff will make you feel like your at Downton Abby!

Posted by
207 posts

Congrats on your upcoming honeymoon and Ireland is the perfect location. I went at the end of August last year and flew into Shannon and homebased in Galway and then in Dingle and did all of my day trips from those locations. Dingle to me is the most quaint and small fishing village with great music, hiking and best B&Bs in both locations.

But your trip sounds fun and of course Dublin is awesome. My only advice is less is more and the real gem are the Irish people. Please PM me if you want specific information.

Congrats again.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all for your responses! I will certainly take in all your considerations!

Posted by
1172 posts

We did 13 nights last summer and I could not agree more than the real gem are the Irish.

Weather in Ireland cane very unpredictable and change on a dime. This can make or break a Cliffs of Moher visit. My recommendation is that if you have a clear day on your drive from Dingle to Galway, stop and do the cliffs. We did it on the way out of Dingle and even stopped at Bunratty Castle and folk park on the way and managed to fit it all in

We also did the Falconry experience at Ashford and if you can fit it in, I highly recommend it. It is still the best family experience that we have had and we have been lucky to travel quite a bit.
The castle itself was a little out of our budget but we stayed at the Lodge at Ashford castle which is to he grounds and it was gorgeous.

Congratulations on your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon!

Posted by
475 posts

The Hawk Walk at Ashford Castle is amazing ~ as Rick says it's an experience you didn't know should be on your bucket list. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted by
69 posts

Hello! I was reading suggestions to your post since we are headed to Ireland in a month ourselves... my previous trips have just been to Dublin, so I can't offer much, but here are just a couple of thoughts that have come out of my own planning since our itinerary is similar.

We are staying at Ballynahinch Castle, which is a good bit cheaper than Ashford, but still highly recommended. Just in case Ashford is out of your price range or booked up, but still looking for a castle to stay in!

Our friends did their honeymoon in Ireland as well, and they noted that in Portamagee, there is a small coffeeshop owned by a local family, which allows entry to the Cliffs of Kerry for a couple euros, which are supposed to be just as lovely as the Cliffs of Moher. We are planning to check this out on our trip around the Ring of Kerry, and since you are staying in Portamagee, I thought I'd mention it as well.

We are doing the falcon walk at Ashford one morning, then spending the afternoon in Galway. I am delighted so many people have recommended that because I was not as enthused as my partner, ha!