Please sign in to post.

Heritage Ireland Touring Guide 2016?

The RS Guide mentions this book-Heritage Island Touring Guide-Ireland's Premier Attractions and Heritage Towns. The Guide, only 7.99 pounds, gives 2 for 1 discounts and other discounts at a large number of sites. I have been unable to find a listing of just what attractions/sites are actually offering the 2:1 discount. The Hertage Ireland folks have been very friendly when I contact them, but I still don't have a list. Does anyone have a guide or a listing? Thanks.

Posted by
346 posts

Thanks, Robert. It seems to be that there are two, somewhat confusing Heritage "thingies". The Heritage card-the link you posted- grants access into a number of Irish Heritage sites. Those are well delineated. The Irish Heritage Guide, offers discounts-sometimes 2 for 1 or a discount on the shops, for other sites and while quite inexpensive at 7.99 pounds, is less well defined and I cannot find a list of just what 2 for 1 places they offer.

Posted by
2829 posts

Must be this one then: http://www.heritageisland.com/
I'm not familiar with it, although it appears to be a marketing group based in UK. Per the website the "touring guide" appears to contain information that you can easily get for free at any visitor information center, along with a vague description of what the discount pass is supposed to save you.
I could be wrong, but unless someone else can chime in and personally attest to the benefit of this thing, it sounds to me like someone is trading on the similarity with the legitimate Irish Heritage site and just trying to separate the unwary from $14 for this "guide".

Posted by
7036 posts

From what I have been able to glean from their website, the only way you can see which places they offer a discount for and how much of a discount is to buy the book. There is no specific information online about the discounts. It might be worth it to buy the book or it might not but you'll only know after you buy it. Good luck.

Posted by
16893 posts

I see that guide described on p. 505 of Rick's Ireland 2016 book, and a list of two dozen places that are covered both by the discount offer and by Rick's book are on the next page. The link provided earlier gives you the full attraction list, but I agree that you don't see which discount applies: http://www.heritageisland.com/attractions/. Pairs traveling together only need to buy one book and just a couple of free admissions would recoup the cost. It's sold at some of these sites in person, but not all.

Posted by
53 posts

Jeff-- I think you will find that the Rick Steves book provides some criteria for deciding whether either or both cards are good choices for you. Based on our interests, length of stay (21 day), and the fact that we will be driving, it was a 'no brainer' for us to go ahead and send for both. Plus, that one is really not much money, even if you don't get every penny back in savings, which you well may.

Posted by
148 posts

I have the 2014 RS tour book and the attractions for both passes are listed on page 20-22. I've already sent away for the Heritage Is touring guide. I will prob purchase the other as well. They will eliminate the need to have extra cash on hand and calculating cash flow needs.

Posted by
1559 posts

Last September we got great use from the Heritage Ireland card - but couldn't purchase the Heritage Island Touring Guide. The staff at the first few covered sites that we visited had no idea what I was talking about so we gave up on it. I hope you have better luck because it seems like it would be helpful to have.

Posted by
2829 posts

While a 3rd party endorsement in the RS country guide is surely the Gold Standard for these sorts of things, you really have to wonder why there's more detailed information in the guide than there is on the business website itself.