Please sign in to post.

Help With Itinerary

We are looking for some help with a 14 day trip to Ireland. We will be flying into Shannon on march 9th and will be spending a week in Tulla, County Clare at Kiltannon Home Farm.

The second week we will be staying in County Galway at Connemara Country Cottages near Leam East close to Oughterard. We naturally want to see as much as possible but not on a hectic whirlwind schedule. We will have a car as well as use some public transportation where available.

We would like to take the train to Dublin and spend a day. We realize we can't see everything in a day so will just like to see the main sites. Any thoughts on the definitely not to miss things in Dublin? Kilmainham Goal, Trinity College and the Book of Kells, etc. We will probably do a hop on hop off bus so we can see as much as possible. Looks like taking the train to Hueston Station is the best.

Our ancestors are from Tullow and Croslow in County Carlow and we would like to spend some time in that area and wanted to see if anyone familiar with that area can suggest a possible B&B for a night.

I see a lot of great ideas posted and thanks to everyone who takes the time to read my post and offer any advice.

Posted by
2 posts

Sounds great, you'll have a wonderful time. The Irish are extraordinarily friendly and if you start talking to them at a bar, you'll have 14 new friends. We flew into Shannon and then drove all over the country at least twice. It's a decent airport. I would definitely check out Dublin, it's a lot of fun. Obviously go to temple bar for drinks and to people watch. The Guinness brewery thing is like Disneyland but it's a giggle. There's actually no brewing down there, it's just interactive displays but impressive. We also like the Dublin writers museum but that's probably individual taste. There's just so much to see, obviously get a Rick Steves guidebook. LOL. I have a buddy who owns a pub up in Galway area and we went up there and stayed for almost a week. It's an amazingly gorgeous area. You can't go wrong. We had a wonderful time in Westport at a couple of the pubs. The Yates grave is interesting. Everything is so bloody beautiful that you can't go wrong. Have fun.

Posted by
409 posts

Tom,

Oh, Oughterad is in a beautiful area!!! Check out http://maumturkswalkingclub.com/ for photos! Also Maum and Maam Cross are worth a look. I found a little cafe at Maum that was a gift shop, photo gallery and cafe and spent hours talking to the owners. It's a gem! Do try to do the loop drive around there that would take you to Leenane. If you want a treat, they have salt water seaweed baths at the spa at Leenane Hotel - no seaweed bath any where else somes close to it. Amazing. And the Killary Fjord boat cruise is worth the time for sure. I've gone twice and both times enjoyed it - once in lashing rain! There is great walking there, and if you're not into hiking boots you can do long walks on the road near Delphi Resort (park there) and barely see a car..... Delphi is a good cafe, too.....

Re: hop on hop off - i think it's one of the best in europe. Keep an eye on Groupon they often have discounts! If you're into art the National Gallery of Ireland is free and has a world class collection. I see from your profile you've done italy -- this museum is that calibar. If you're into photography the Irish Photographic Archive has a small gallery attached that is free (donations) and in Temple Bar.... if you want a break from the tourists!

I don't know Carlow but we stay in Athy often when we go to Dublin (do the train in from there). That entire area is not as wildly beautiful as the West, but still a gem..... i suggest the web page for the County as a good place to start!

Did you know the scientist who explained why the sky is blue is from Carlow?? ;-) (You learn something new every day!).

When in Clare, the Lahinch, Spanish Point, Kilkee Kilrush loop is lovely. If you're into boating you can boat from Kilrush out to see the somewhat unusual Shannon River Dolphins!

Enjoy St Patrick's Day - it's fantastic in small villages!!

Susan
Expat in Waterville, Skellig Coast