Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

We have six full days (not including travel days on either end) in Ireland in July, and I am struggling with the itinerary. A lot of what I want to see is not included in the traditional week long itineraries I can find online. For instance, I do not want to go to Cork or drive the Ring of Kerry.

We are a family of four, with two girls ages 7 and 9 (who are used to travel), and this will be the very end of our eight weeks in Europe this summer.

The top things I would like to do are: Book of Kells, Kilmainham Gaol, Cliffs of Moher (is this worth it???), Giant's Causeway (this is a must do), fly hawks at Ashford Castle, and do a horseback beach ride in Connemara.

I am thinking that we fly into Shannon from London. We are already booked to fly out of Dublin.

I'm struggling- I do not want us to be in the car constantly or rush around like crazy, but it's hard to map out because I can't find any examples that hit even some of the things we want to do. Most of them concentrate in southern Ireland, which we aren't planning to go to at all. I am totally willing to adjust and drop some things or add different things that would fit in better, but I am feeling overwhelmed.

Hopefully someone can help!

Posted by
852 posts

With so few days on the ground you are going to have to drop some things. Looking at what you say is a priority to you it might be best to just split your time between Dublin and Galway. You can do a guided day trip to the causeway from Dublin, though it might be a long day. From Galway it’s easy to get to the cliffs, Burren, Connemara, or a day trip over to Inishmore. Before deciding where to fly into check the drive times to the first place you want to visit. I think Dublin to Galway is shorter than Shannon to Galway.

Posted by
2822 posts

As was previously mentioned, you're trying to cover an awful lot of ground in a very limited amount of time.

Shannon is only about an hour south of Galway so you could, with an early arrival from London, collect your car there and head north towards the village of Cong - which is where Ashford Castle is located. I'd skip Moher - you just don't have the time to battle the crowds getting in and out of there. Better to do at least part of the Connemara Loop Drive (the N59 west of Galway), finishing up in or near Cong to be in place for your Hawk Walk adventure. Two nights there would give you enough time to do your horseback riding too.

From there it's about a 5 hour drive to Portrush, which would make a good base for for exploring the Causeway Coast. You could alo break up the drive somewhat by stopping in Derry which I highly recommend. That route will also take you thru Donegal with some of the prettiest scenery in Ireland - lots of places to stop and stretch your legs. Would make for a long day but not an unpleasant one.

Thence to Dublin for a couple of nights which should give you enough time to see what you want to see. It would be a fast moving itinerary but doable if you don't mind the one long day in the car.

A one-way car rental, Shannon to Dublin, is the way to go. There may be a small one-way drop charge depending on which provider you book with. Also, check to ensure that they know that you'll be taking the car into NI - a pretty seamless transition if you're behind the wheel but you want to be sure that you don't inadvertantly void your insurance coverage.

And, yes, remember that it's pounds and MPH in Northern Ireland.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks so much for the helpful advice!

I really do not want to stay only in cities. We will have just been in London for five full days before this. Some background: we are in Europe for 8 weeks, and this is at the very end. We each picked a place for a week and then decided the rest together. Ireland was my pick. I know we could spend just 8 weeks there alone!

Northern Ireland is really important to me, so if I drop something, it would be the Cliffs of Moher and more Dublin time. If I see the Book of Kells, that's enough for me. There is not anything else in Dublin that is a priority for me (given I have to pick and choose). I'd rather spend more time in the countryside area.

We will have minimal luggage with us, so rather than driving two or more hours somewhere to drive back again to sleep, we are ok moving more frequently too.

Posted by
20 posts

Oh, and I have already looked into the rental car previously. The fee for one way drop off is minimal.

Posted by
2822 posts

If you want to linger a bit in NI consider a visit to the Ulster-American Folk Park nar Omagh. Fascinating place. especially if your heritage traces to Ulster. Can Google it to see if it might be of interest.
For a very scenic drive from the Causeway Coast down to Belfast and on to Dublin take a look at the coastal drive down thru the Glens of Antrim... the northeast coast of NI. On a sunny day it's really spectacular - reminded us of Hwy. 1 along the California coast. There are a few castles dotting the countryside that make for interesting stops.
We didn't expect to like Belfast as much as we did. It's a very pretty city with a ton of history, and the Titanic Museum over in the old Harland and Wolff shipyard is really world class. Might be worth a stop if you're into Titanic lore.

Posted by
20 posts

Ok, I rearranged. Thoughts on this?

Day 1-

Land in Dublin in time to see Book of Kells at Trinity college (need to be in Dublin by 2pm to make this happen)

Day 2-

Leave for Cong, Ireland. Sightsee along the way

Day 3-

Do the hawk walk at Ashford Castle
Drive to Sligo or Grange area to stay overnight.

Day 4-

Horse back riding.
Drive to Londonderry for overnight?

Day 5-

Head to Giants Causeway
Drive to Belfast and stay there overnight

Day 6 -

Belfast and maybe Titanic museum
Overnight in Belfast

Day 7

More Belfast or find something between Belfast and Dublin.
Drive to hotel near Dublin airport.

Day 8-
Fly out of Dublin (1pm flight)

Posted by
3122 posts

Your revised itinerary is more realistic, but I would bypass Londonderry and go straight to the Giants Causeway (or vice versa -- in other words, choose one or the other). Have you nailed down where you will sleep each night? It's highly recommended to avoid one-night stays because you always sleep more soundly in a place that's halfway familiar, and the time and energy eaten up by checking in, checking out, packing & unpacking really cuts into enjoyment. Plus, when you stay 2 nights you can wash clothes upon arrival and be fairly sure they'll be dry by the time you need to check out.

Posted by
2822 posts

Between Belfast and Dublin are Newgrange, the Boyne Valley, and the Hill of Tara - lots of Irish history in a very compact area.

Posted by
20 posts

I had thought Londonderry just to stay overnight before the Causeway, but I'm open to other options. I wasn't sure if it would be too much to drive that evening all the way from Grange, where the stable is, to the Giants Causeway area.

I have not booked lodging yet. I wanted to nail down what we wanted to do first. I realize moving each day is not ideal, but for my kids, it is prefable to backtracking. For instance, if we stay in one spot and go to the castle and then to the stable and then drive to NI, it seemed like we are backtracking just to turn around the next morning and go back again. We will have minimal luggage with us, and a laundry in a London right before, so I'm not concerned about those aspects.

I like the ideas between Dublin and Belfast, and up earlier in thread, another poster mentioned some other drive in that area as well. So it sounds like we can make a day out of that drive.

Posted by
5 posts

If you're coming to Dublin you really ought to visit the Guinness Storehouse, I would say. It's the most popular tourist attraction in Ireland and actually is very interesting. There's a lot of history and craft involved, it's not about drinking (like you may think). It's also family friendly (they do school tours!).

Kilmainham Gaol is definitely a good one to prioritise, you're right. It's a fantastic tour and full of stories.

Giants Causeway on the far northern coast is one that you'll be glad to have ticked off your list too because it's such an iconic sight and photogenic if nothing else. It's pretty quick to get there from Dublin due to the motorway.
While you're up north, it's worth trying to get to Belfast too and do the DC walking tour. It's all about the conflict in Northern Ireland and utterly fascinating. The tour goes into areas of either side of the troubles and gives you both viewpoints. It's a really under-rated attraction.

The Cliffs of Moher (on the mid-west coast) are breathtaking, but it is a trek and unless you get a sunny day, can be a very miserable hike too (my experience was very windy, wet and cold - in May)

I hope this helps!

Posted by
94 posts

If you return to your original plan, you should be able to design an itinerary with Google Maps. Pick up the car at Shannon and go to the Cliffs, then head toward whichever is closer, the horse thing or Ashford. Stay over. And on to the next. You have five sights (Moher, Ashford, Grange, Causeway, Dublin) and five nights, if I read correctly. You can use Booking.com or a similar site's map feature to find places that are close to your sights and/or inquire of the proprietor or check the sights' webpages to see what if they list nearby accommodation. One night at each (which you said isn't a problem for your family), perhaps two in Dublin, that's your itinerary. I'm sure you'll find things to see and do along the way. If you in fact have two nights and a full day in Dublin, you should be able to see both Kilmainham and Kells (which has timed entry tickets, as I recall). Folks say the drive times are longer IRL than Google suggests, but that wasn't my experience.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
2822 posts

Your revised itinerary looks fine. Seems to cover all of your highlights without being overly busy.
Most here agree that the drives times you'll see on the popular mapping apps are overly optimistic by about 30%, so plan your daily drives accordingly - you can rarely achieve the posted speed limits once you're on the N and R roads.
On your drive from Dublin to Cong consider a stop at the monastic settlement of Clonmacnoise.
Driving in Belfast can be stressful, but you can minimize the pain by finding somewhere central to stay, park the car and explore on foot or by booking a day tour. Public transport is pretty easy too.
There's a Premier Inn over in the Titanic Quarter that's reasonably priced, is close to the Titanic Museum and the old Harland & Wolff shipyard, and is an easy walk along a pedestrian friendly route into the city center.

Posted by
20 posts

I think it's worth considering that with the weather in Ireland being so iffy, even in the summer, the Cliffs might not be worth all the scheduling to see. We live on the coast in Northern California, so we are very familiar with weather like that! If it was a rainy or overcast day, it just wouldn't be as amazing, and that's the only thing we would be doing there. Next time we go to Ireland, we will do the southern area.

Thank so much for all the help and recommendations! I'm trying to find lodging now and it's surprisingly slim pickings on airbnb already. If anyone has hotel recommendations for a family of four, please let me know!

Posted by
1914 posts

My only input is that at the end of an 8 week trip you might be very tired. You might consider slowing down the pace and not moving very much expecting to take things slow. Maybe two places in a quiet location?

Posted by
24 posts

This is the exact same choice I'm facing, and I'm leaning toward just going to NI and skipping Galway/The Cliffs/Inishmore, even though that breaks my heart. I think it's just too much driving in 6 days. We want to see everything, but we want to relax as well. Tough choices.

Posted by
8 posts

Might have confirmed a lot at this late stage but could I suggest the following based primarily on your preference for rural rather than city and also Grange and Giants Causeway being highlighted.

Day 1 - Arrive in Dublin - Visit Glendalough, Sally Gap and also Russborough House which houses a maze, an Historic House and art collection and National Bird of Prey Centre for Hawkwalk etc. All within an hr of Dublin but might as well be a different country with stunning scenery and peace. Stay in Dublin overnight preferably Southside or near M50 for next days travelling.
Day 2 - Dublin to Bundoran via Sligo/Grange.
Take in Lough Key Forest Park - which has Tree top walk and adventure games for the kids, stunning views, castles etc for the adults. Visit Yeat's Grave too en route. On to Bundoran to stay overnight. Toughest drive overall but still less than 3hrs total without time on visits.
Day 3 - Return to Grange for Horse riding (10 mins away) or surfing in Bundoran. Then travel up the Atlantic Coast to Slieve League cliffs Aand then stay in Dungloe/Falcarragh region. Relax with warm friendly people.
Day 4 - Perhaps a visit to Tory Island then back across Glenveigh National Park to Letterkenny to stay. Again stunning coastlines and terrain easily comparable with Cong, Cliffs of Moher and Aran Islands.
Day 5 - travel the coast Road from Letterkenny to Belfast taking in Giants Causeway and Portrush/Portstewart. Arrive in Belfast with time to see Titanic Museum (caveat below).
Day 6 - Belfast to Dublin. Titanic Museum (if delayed previous day). If not then you could take in Battle of Boyne site or Ulster Folk Park in Omagh as already suggested on the way back to Dublin. If you've Northern connections then either day could be used to explore same. Then back to Dublin to stay overnight.
Day 7 - Dublin to view Book of Kells, Kilmnainham Gaol and would also suggest Viking Splash tours - amphibious craft on the Liffey wearing Viking Helmets and roaring abuse at passing tourists - your kids will love it. Plenty of time to relax then prior to travelling home next day.
Day 8 - Home.
You can find plenty of small family run guesthouses en route. Hear the locals speaking Gaelic (not as common as you'd imagine) and hear traditional music and storytelling. It would be a complete 180 from the hustle of London.
Caveat - not sure when youre travelling in July but the 12th July is traditionally marching season with heightened sectarian tensions. Has been relatively quiet last number of years but still has an air of tension about it - bonfires, public disturbance etc. With Brexit and possible border changes (unlikely I think) it may be more visible this year. I might be making something out of nothing but no harm that you are aware of it especially with small kids.

Posted by
8 posts

Sorry - would be happy to add links or info to any of the above if required.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi,
You can do plenty without going far south. We are on the same page, there's so much to do in Dublin, county Wicklow and from east to west as far as Galway that you can definitely succeed.

Few examples -
Brennanstown stables for Riding - beautiful setting just outside Dublin at the foot of the mountains.

K2 alpacas - family friendly trek in the Dublin mountains with an Alpaca per every 2 walkers for company!

Book of kells and kilmainham Gail are easily arranged.
Check out the Phoenix park in Dublin too where the Irish president lives and the US president of has a home too

The croke park skywalk in Dublin is something fun and different too.

Hope this helps
Éamonn
ChaperoneVIP Private tours.

Posted by
76 posts

There's so much to see on the Antrim Coast; if you just see Giant's Causeway you'll be short-changing yourself. I would actually start the day driving to Dunluce Castle, then Giant’s Causeway, Dunseverick Castle, Ballintoy Harbor, Kinbane Castle, The Dark Hedges and then stay somewhere in the north; possibly Ballymoney. Everything I've mentioned above are all very close to one another, so the short driving time lets you see a lot in one day. The drive from Ballymoney to Titanic Belfast is less than an hour, so you could actually head there the next morning.

Another option on the Antrim Coast is the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge...but I'm on the fence about that one. Sometimes the line can be ridiculous, and it takes all of 30 seconds to walk across the bridge.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think your revised itinerary works. I'd suggest using Via Michelin's route planner to get an idea of the driving times. In Ireland, I expect the times will be reasonably accurate when you're driving on a major highway. As soon as you get onto the rural roads, however, you will drive significantly slower than the posted speed limit. Look at the route details and maybe double the time on the off-roads to get a good idea how much time to give yourself.

Remember to plan for time you will need to enjoy yourself once you get there. Don't plan one hour for horseback riding. Plan a half day for the activity so you don't have to hurry through it. Ideally you get there with time to spare and don't rush off right when it's over. I'm not sure how long the Hawk classes are but same idea. Don't plan to arrive, immediately start the class, then hop in the car and drive immediately afterwards. The most fun thing in Ireland is relaxed conversation with people you meet along the way.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm looking at doing a roughly opposite loop from you. Our personal tastes likely differ but my top sights in the Belfast area are Carrickfergus and the Titanic Museum. I'm not really excited about going out of my way to see sights related to "the troubles".

My favorite sight in Ireland, so far, is Newgrange. I think that would be a great stop on your way back between Belfast and Dublin. At the same time you could take a quick look at Monasterboice (for the old celtic crosses) and Trim castle (mostly ruins, much of Braveheart was filmed there).

There is also Navan center and fort (iron age) near Armagh that I'll likely skip. It's my girlfriend's first visit to Ireland so I think I'll take her back to Newgrange.

Between Londonderry and Belfast, you should have time to walk the city walls early (if you haven't already) then visit the Giant's Causeway, Bushmill's Distillery, Carrick-a-Rede and Dunluce castle with plenty of time left to get to Belfast. If you want to do that, from what I'm reading, it's best to go first to Carrick-a-Rede and check in for a crossing time (they sell out), then visit Bushmill's before noon (on certain days) while people are still there making whiskey, Dunluce can be visited any time during the day as can the Giant's Causeway.

If Game of Thrones is a big deal, you can also make a quick stop at Ballintoy harbor (used as backdrop for the Iron Islands).

There is another castle ruin on the way to Belfast, Kinbane castle. There's not nearly as much there as Dunluce but might be good if you find yourself with time. The views over the ocean will be great.

Posted by
161 posts

Positioning your family in Galway or outskirts, you can do the Giants Causeway with stopping en route at the Connemara mountains. Then, another day, allow a trip to the Aran Islands, specifically Inismore. I spent weeks in Ireland, and six days is not lot, as others, say, but with focus, it can be done and not exhaustingly. If you want to see the book of Kells, etc., in Dublin, stay in Dublin for a couple of days. What about the Whicklow Mountains just south of Dublin for a day trip.

Posted by
76 posts

With respect to Laurel, if she's suggesting you use Galway as a base, drive to Giant's Causeway, go back to Galway, then go out to Inishmore another day, that's just not practical. It's a five hour drive from Galway to Giant's Causeway - without stopping - which means you'd be driving 10 hours roundtrip, plus the time it takes to see the causeway. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong. If so, I apologize to Laurel.