Please sign in to post.

Help with Ireland Travel Itinerary for May 2017

I am planning a southern loop Ireland driving vacation for my family and need guidance. This is what I have so far:

Day 1 - Arrive in Dublin in the am. Stay overnight in Dublin 2 nights.

Day 3 - Travel from Dublin to Kilkenny

Day 4 - Travel from Kilkenny to Waterford

Day 5 - Travel to Kilarney

Day 6 - Drive the Ring of Kerry and Stay in ??

Day 7 - Travel to Limerick

Day 8 - Travel to Connemara - Stay in the Abbey glen Castle in Connemara

Day 9 - Visit Galway and travel back towards Dublin - Stay ??

Day 10 - AM flight out of Dublin

The sights/activities we are interested in are:
Rock of Cashel,
Waterford Factory,
Whiskey trail/ Kinsale,
Blarney Castle,
Ring of Kerry,
Cliff of Mohr,
Bunratty Castle,
Adare Village,
Galway,
Horseback riding,
Hiking

First - is this too ambitious?

Second - where should we stay in Days 6 and 9? On Day 10 our plane leaves at noon

Third - Should we book a tour bus for the Ring of Kerry instead of driving it ourselves? If so, what is a good tour company to use?

We have reservations for Dublin, Kilkenny, Waterford and the Abbey glen Castle but the rest are B&B's still to be booked.

This is our first trip to Ireland, so any advice to make it an awesome experience is greatly appreciated!!

Posted by
740 posts

Personally, I would never miss the chance to visit Dingle when you're in the West of Ireland. Amazing music and food.

Posted by
1172 posts

There really isn't much in Limerick... I would do Dingle instead and drive there after you drive the ROK... I would drive it instead of taking a bus tour so you can stop where you want when you want. Its as a gorgeous drive!
There is great Horseback riding in Dingle

Posted by
10 posts

klmrobi

yes it is a pretty aggressive schedule, but hey I would rather plan something and not be able to it instead of needing something to do and no plans. We really enjoyed Dublin we were there 3 nights total. There did not seem like a lot of sites, we took the bus ride around town and they gave us a good over site. We did visit Guinness and several pubs and restaurants. we stayed at Arlington Hotel and Parliament Hotel's in Dublin. Located above the bars. We loved it we were able to experience the cultural, food and drink and the rooms were great. The Bank on College Green in Dublin was a fantastic dinner. We did Kilkenny the 2nd day it is where my ancestors immigrated from to the US in 1848. In Kilkenny you have Kilkenny Castle, Smithwick Brewery and St. Mary’s Cathedral. From there we went east to Dunmore East Hayes Pub oldest pub in same family 300+ years. Plus my friend Steve Hayes was with us. We also visited Jerpoint Abbey some ruins on the way to Dunmore East. Then we did several days of golf staying in Killarney. We did Cliffs of Moher which are amazing, Dingle you need to visit Foxy John's a pub/hardware store - fun. The Dingle Peninsula drive is beautiful. We visited Birr Castle and Blarney Castle. Waterford Crystal closed down and it did reopen but we did not stop. Cobh is a beautiful town a lot of history it is where the Titanic and Lusitania made there final sails from. We loved the beautiful green hillsides sheep and cow covered. The ferry ride at Talbert on your way to the Cliffs is a worth wile event. Horseback riding sounds enjoyable I guess I should have rented one while I was playing golf. I didn't think Limerick had a lot to see. But hey your in Ireland everything is great and the people are some of the best in the world. We did spend a night in Cashel staying at O’Briens Cashel Lodge – Tom and Brid O’Brien. The rooms were inexpensive and great accommodations. We arrived late so I called Brid to hold the room. She told me the next day she could have given the room away a couple of different times. I asked then why do we have to pay if you were going to give them away. We had some great steaks while we were in Ireland. Research is great but remember when you are there enjoy and don't worry about what you missed. That is why you go back a 2nd time.
Be safe

Posted by
312 posts

It's pretty fast--no time to slow down and just soak in the atmosphere. The best parts of Ireland for me were the things I stumbled onto when I slowed down. But it's not an impossible itinerary, and some people like moving faster.

You might want to stay in Kenmare instead of Killarney; I preferred it and it felt less touristy. But since it's just one night it's not a big deal. I agree about Dingle on Night 6. Also agree about driving the ROK, not taking a bus tour, so you can go at your own pace.

For Night 9, how about Howth? It's a pleasant seaside town about half an hour's drive from the airport, which seems like it would work with a noon flight. That's where I stayed my last two days and it worked out well for me.

Posted by
1540 posts

I really enjoyed the Dingle Peninsula much more than the Ring of Kerry.
Just my 2 cents...