Please sign in to post.

Help with Ireland Itinerary in October, 2018

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in early October in Ireland. I'm so excited and doing a great deal of planning ahead, but would love to hear some feedback, as I can still change some things this far out :)

10/4 - 10/5 Overnight flight, landing in Shannon around 11:15, pick up car from Hertz and spend our first night in Dromoland Castle - already booked!
10/6 - Drive to and experience Cliffs of Moher, hopeful to do some hiking and then head back toward Bunratty Castle - overnight at Headly Court B&B
10/7 - Dingle Peninsula (aloting all day for this) and overnight at Mulbur House in Killarney
10/8 - Visit Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe etc. Overnight again at Mulbur House in Killarney
10/9 - Visit Cork, Cobh, Kinsale, Blarney area. Not sure on the specifics other than possibly Jameson Distillery and Blarney Stone (is it too touristy?) Overnight at Glenmaroon B&B
10/10 - Anything else in Cork, Cobh area that we missed from the day prior (?), and then Cahir and Cashel area on our way to Dublin. Overnight Ashling Hotel
10/11 - Turn in the rental car, plus Book of Kells, Masonic Lodge (per my husband's request), and anything else in Dublin, overnight at Ashling Hotel again as we have an 8am flight out of Dublin back to Chicago.

I can't wait to hear feedback from everyone here.
Thanks so much!

Posted by
1172 posts

Kilmainham gaol is a must for me in Dublin. Buy tickets ahead online as the tours sell out.

Posted by
138 posts

Since you are staying at Dromoland Castle (which is beautiful!), check out signing up for their Hawk Walk. We were there last October and loved it! It was one of the highlights of our trip.

The 9th looks a little much for one day. The days are shorter so you don't get as much in one day. Maybe you could do Cobh and Kinsale on the 9th and visit Blarney Castle on your way to Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel. When we were there last October there was hardly anyone at any of those castles. People will say Blarney Castle is not worth it and Rick Steve's doesn't recommend it but the grounds are beautiful and kissing the Blarney Stone was fun (and a bit scary). It was a quick hour or so stop at Blarney Castle and, maybe because it wasn't crowded when we were there, we didn't find it any more touristy than the other castles. Rock of Cashel was my favorite! It's beautiful to see!

Bunratty Castle is more touristy but worth a visit if you have time and you might want to check out their Medieval Dinner Banquet. It was a lot of fun and a nice way to spend the evening.

Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!

Posted by
2 posts

Joyce, thanks so much for your kind reply. I really appreciate all the tips you've provided, as well. Will definitely look into some of your reccomendations!

Posted by
4 posts

First, Happy Anniversary!
I’d like to add my two cents based on my Ireland visit last June. Be careful how much you plan for each day unless you want to arrive, run into wherever, take a pic, then run out and on to the next place!
Other than the main highways, the roads are QUITE narrow. You will not be traveling as quickly as the distance may suggest. Also, give yourself time to adjust to the “driving stick shift on the left” experience.
One of my favorite photo ops was of a small seaside tower that I found accidentally when I pulled off the road to let someone pass! I mention that because there is soooooo much to see around every corner that if you are rushing to get to the next point on your itinerary, you might just miss the most spectacular bit of Ireland!
Safe journey! Enjoy Ireland!

Posted by
3238 posts

I would stay in Dingle instead of the Killarney area. I just returned from both places and much, much preferred Dingle. Also, you are adding 3 hours of driving to go from Killarney to then drive the Dingle peninsula. We stayed at Pax House in Dingle and I would highly, highly recommend it to make your honeymoon special. I didn’t stay at Dromoland castle, but I did pop in to tour around. Not my scene. Very stuffy.
Killarney National park is wonderful. The town of Killarney is a congestion of tourists and traffic.