Please sign in to post.

Help, can't decide!

Hi All,
My friend and I will be flying into Dublin for the first leg of our trip. We will fly into Dublin on the morning of the 14th in June. We will stay the first night in Kilkenny(14th/15th) and the second night in Waterford(15th/16th). What we cannot decide is where to spend the night of the (16th/!7th). We had original planned to go back to Dublin before flying out to Scotland on the 17th. Now we are thinking about either going to Cork and flying out from there or from Shannon. We are hoping to see a bit more of Ireland if we fly out of either of these two places. The flights leave early also on the 17th, Any suggestions on where to stay or what to see if we choose one of the latter places??

Thanks for the help!!!
Katsinca

Posted by
11159 posts

You should go past Cork to the waterfront, charming town of Kinsale!
It was one of top favorite places in Ireland.

Posted by
4081 posts

Kinsale is absolutely charming but you could consider Cobh, which is also near Cork and a little larger than Kinsale so might have more options for you. If you only have 3 nights and have a good flight option from Cork, I don’t see any reason to fly out of Shannon.

Posted by
2825 posts

I agree that Kinsale would be a great choice for an overnight stay before dropping your car at Cork airport . The little seaside town is beautiful and is a particular favorite here. It's popular with day trippers and tour companies so it does tend to get pretty crowded around midday, but arriving later in the afternoon would allow you to enjoy the place once everyone else has departed ... usually by 4 PM or thereabouts. There's a pretty seaside walk down to Charles Fort that's quite nice on a sunny day.
A potential stop along the way would be the aforementioned village of Cobh - pretty in its own right but which also has some historical significance in that it was the last stop for the Titanic before her date with the iceberg, and it was where the survivors and casualties from the Lusitania were taken after the ship was torpedoed off the Old Head of Kinsale in 1915. There's a little Titanic museum there that's worth a visit, and just outside is a statue memorializing the departure of little Annie Moore and her brothers who were the first inductees thru the newly opened Ellis Island in 1892. From Cobh you can take the charming little Passage West ferry to get to Kinsale.
We enjoyed the seaside village of Youghal, and there's a round tower and small monastic site in the village of Ardmore that you'll have pretty much all to yourselves.
If you don't mind meandering a little further afield the Rock of Cashel would be worth a stop as well.
I suppose departing from Shannon would be doable, but the sticking to the southern coast and leaving from Cork would be my suggestion.
BTW, it helps that the airport is south of the city and only a short drive from Kinsale. That way you needn't go into Cork city itself which frankly wasn't one of our favorites.

Posted by
231 posts

Thank you all for the suggestions! You have given several good ones. Looks like we might be headed toward Cork or beyond :))

Thanks again!!
Katsinca

Posted by
4081 posts

Robert, Ardmore is on my list for next time (next year?) for other reasons, so I am glad to see it has something interesting beyond its name. :)

Posted by
2952 posts

Driving from Waterford to Dublin will take 2h 30m.
Driving from Waterford to Kinsale will take the same amount of time. Cobh is an hour from Kinsale and Kinsale is 30-minutes from the Cork airport.