Please sign in to post.

Guiness Storehouse

My husband and I are going to Ireland for the first time 5/3-5/13. We will be finishing with 3 nights in Dublin. We always enjoy food tours, distillery tours, and brewery tours on our travels. Is the Guiness Storehouse worth it? And do we need reservations? Any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
2267 posts

I went a couple of years ago, after having been 20-something years earlier. It had since gone from being an actual brewery tour to being a bit of a disney-fied "experience". I'm sure lots of people enjoy it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Posted by
12 posts

We were there last September and it is well worth it. The view from the top is beautiful and lots of fun extras to do. Also, the beer itself is so much better than any Guinness you’ve had stateside. I made reservations the day before but don’t know if they’re currently necessary. Search their website for guidance.

Posted by
599 posts

We didn't have reservations when we went at 11 AM on a Saturday in September 2019. It did get crowded, but we all enjoyed it, and drinking a Guiness in the rooftop bar with a view of the city was a highlight for me.

Posted by
7569 posts

The Guinness Storehouse is like most of the big brewery "experiences", like Heineken for example.

Basically it details the origin, history, lots of advertising paraphernalia, a decent "process of beer brewing" display, some old brewing equipment, but it is not a Brewery Tour with live brewing. You do get a Guinness at the end, which you can have at one of several venues, the Gravity Bar is maybe the best, with great views.

Being a beer nerd, I found it interesting (though that was many years ago) they do a good job, if I were in Dublin again, I would probably go back. Apparently now there is also another part of it nearby called the Guinness Open Gate Brewery, where they brew experimental beers for tasting.

Posted by
2367 posts

I guess you will have lots of pros and cons. We did not enjoy it and felt there were so many more worthwhile things to do in Dublin. If you do go try to go on the day the weather is good which I know is extremely hard but the view from the top on a dreary day is not worth it according to my brother. He thought is was just ok. (We were there on a bright day so the view was nice). We were able to walk in during the week two years ago so don't have up to date info on advance tickets.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
I would skip the brewery tour. It isn't a brewery tour. It is an advertisement for Guinness. I love Guinness, but with limited time skip this and go to Kilmainham Gaol. This gaol was built by the British as they were expecting an Irish uprising. I don't know why? Would a Catholic population object to the British branding priests? Anyway. It was special built and when the uprising happened they knew where to take these hooligans and punish them properly for their shenanigans. Among them was an Irish/American/Spaniard named De Velara. Because of his American background...he lived. The tour gave me goose bumps.

Also, I would go into the Grand Post Office and admire the bullet divots. Then I would wrap around and walk down Moore Lane market.

Don't forget to admire both the huge maple tree and the sculpture under it in the green of Trinity College.

wayne iNIW

Posted by
647 posts

I'm not a beer drinker, but husband is...and "everyone" says how Guinness tastes different/better in Ireland. So, we booked a tour for later in the afternoon; maybe around 4:00 p.m, because we thought relaxing at the brewery after a busy day of sightseeing sounds ideal. I was looking forward to the view from the Gravity Bar at the top, after slowly winding our way up, reading panels about the brewery.
We got to the Gravity bar, and it was packed!! We made our way to the bar, where husband got his Guiness, and my soft drink, and tried to edge closer to the windows. Music was loud; people were congregating in groups; we never got a good viewpoint. Besides, view from top was a little hazy.
Later, comparing notes with another couple who went before lunch, I think that would be a good time to go, if going there is high on your list. Gravity bar was not crowded early in the day.