Please sign in to post.

Gluten Free in Ireland

I'm planning a trip to Ireland next year. I have a digestive condition, not celiac, that excludes gluten. What options do I have at the pubs? Is all the food breaded, or can I get some not covered in breadcrumbs? Do they serve wine in the pubs? Thanks!

Posted by
6113 posts

Most places will have gluten free options plus also vegetarian meals. Very little will be covered in breadcrumbs, other than some fish and fried chicken meals.

Yes they serve wine in pubs.

Food labelling in supermarkets will denote nuts, gluten and dairy products.

Posted by
2267 posts

Ireland has a law requiring restaurants to list/label common allergens in their menus. It's impressively comprehensive.

Posted by
2828 posts

Per the other posters, pubs and restaurants in Ireland deal with these sorts of issues all the time. Simply discuss your needs with your server who will help sort things out for you ... same as you do at home.
The pubs offer a full array of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic selections.

Posted by
4574 posts

If you don't know it check out Happy Cow website or app. Covers vegan, vegetarian, gluten free establishments globally.
Also, as I am sure you are used to, take controll of some of your meals by picnics or renting a space with kitchen...or at least a fridge.

Posted by
4117 posts

It seemed a lot easier to tell what was gluten free in the areas of Ireland where I went than it is here in my area of the U.S. It may require you to do a bit of looking at menus ahead of time, but it was easy to manage.

Posted by
610 posts

We traveled last year with a friend who is avoiding almost everything but meat due to a yet to be explained case of lupus. Every restaurant we went to had a special menu on request that laid out how every entre was made and with what and extra selections for those like our friend. Even some country pubs had them. Incredibly progressive compared to at home in the US.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
The labeling of the most allergic foods on menus is not an Irish abnormality. It is an EU law. The heavy hand of government helping citizens, we can't do that in the US. The 14 items are listed with a letter code: A is for Gluten, B is for Crustaceans etc. And as far as I know the letters and allergen are always paired the same. So if you are looking a menu item, if it has any allergens in it, it will have the appropriate letter shown immediately after the description of the menu selection. If you have only one allergen you want to avoid all you have to do is memorize one letter and you are ready to travel Europe. How simple. How helpful.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
4574 posts

Wayner, I don't recall any lettering code on menus in Spain in 2017, but it was very obvious that the supported a celiac diet, as well as other allergens. 'gluten free' is considered a fad diet in some countries, but Celiac disease is taken seriously to the appropriate extent of not allowing cross contamination of food with wheat or gluten products. They use the sign of red circle with line oblique across a sheaf of wheat.
Catherine, hopefully you have come back to read these replies and will find them helpful.

Posted by
4117 posts

Maria F (and Catherine),I don’t recall the actual designations but in 2019 I did frequently see the designations wayner mentioned beside each menu item - and then an explanation at the bottom (or elsewhere on the menu). It seemed really helpful!

Posted by
4574 posts

So, perhaps newer than my Spain experience. Good to know, and to be consistent.

Posted by
4574 posts

So, perhaps newer than my Spain experience. Good to know, and to be consistent.
I also tried a number of Google searches for it to no avail before Spain post. Clearly not feeding it the correct searches words.

Posted by
86 posts

Thank you, everyone, for all your info and suggestions. I hope to do a Rick Steves tour next year, but may do a Gate 1 tour. I have IBS, (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), so things like onions, garlic, apples, pears, asparagus, beets and non lactose free dairy are on the no fly list. I feel confident I can have a fun and successful trip. Thanks for all your help!