Please sign in to post.

Giant's Causeway?

Heading to Ireland towards the end of May. We were planning on getting adventurous and making the trek up to Giants Causeway. Worth it? I haven't seen many people talking about it and it could be just because it is so far away from the main tourist areas. If it's not with the trip, we can easily find a way to spend the extra day.

Posted by
16893 posts

It's certainly worth a visit, but how long of a trek will that be from the rest of your itinerary? If most of the day is not taken up by driving, then you could make other stops in the region.

Posted by
4844 posts

Definitely worth it if it is within an hour and a half or so drive from wherever you are. However, I would not spend half of the day driving there and then have the same return trip. Best scenario is to included it as you are going from one place to another.

Posted by
4 posts

We'd be getting an early start, but wouldn't be able to stop along the way very much other than for a bite to eat. We are driving from Clare County, so it will be a 6 hour drive, and are spending 1 night there.

Posted by
4 posts

We are staying in Ballymena, UK, 40 minutes away from Giants Causeway. It's definitely going to be a long driving day, but was only planning on relaxing & taking in the views that day before making our way back to Dublin.

Posted by
7034 posts

The end of May should give you enough late daylight to stop and explore Giants Causeway before reaching your hotel. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so of climbing around on the rocks themselves. Actually I thought the drive there was worth as much as the causeway itself although it certainly is intriguing - the drive was amazingly scenic. Yes, I would say it's worth it.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for all of the input! I think we will keep it on the itinerary! I also just found a bunch of bed & breakfasts closer to the Causeway, so maybe we'll stay somewhere else instead of the Air BnB I booked. It had a flexible cancellation policy.

Posted by
148 posts

As some of you may or may not know depending on your ages...

The Giant's Causeway was featured in Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" album. As a teen in the late 70s, I grew up with Led Zep, but it was a recent epiphany when I realized this and the fact that I will be visiting GC in 3 months!

http://imgur.com/a/FefgV