Please sign in to post.

Getting around in Dublin

Help, PLEASE. Bought a package deal - Dublin, London, Paris. Have been reading all of the forum discussions and am kind of freaking out. Our hotel is the Citywest - Saggart. Can we take a train there or is that overkill? Rent a car or get a cab? Is that a remote location or are there things to do nearby? We will only be there 2 days and from what I've read the driving in Ireland sounds scarey.

Thank you in advance!!

Posted by
82 posts

We will also be on our own in Dublin a couple of days this fall. Does anyone know of a Dublin bus map showing the routes on streets? Their website lists route names, but this doesn't help an inexperienced visitor.

Also does anyone know of a complete road map of Dublin? I've only been able to find "tourist maps" so far - limited to the popular city center.

Thanks all!

Garrison

Posted by
81 posts

We actually walked all over Dublin. We didn't require a taxi. Walked all the way to the GPO, the Jeannie Johnson Famine Ship and in that area. It's a good hike, but you get to see so much more than whizzing by in a taxi.

Posted by
919 posts

Like Linda, I agree that much of Dublin's city center is very walkable. I don't know where all you're going, but short of taking the bus into and out of town to reach the airport, I walked to most places on my destination list. Dublin is not a mega-capital; the core is very concentrated.
Good luck & good travels!