Please sign in to post.

Galway to Dingle

Husband and i will be driving from Galway to Dingle. We have all day to get there so looking for things to see, places of interest, logical stops for lunch etc along the way. We will spend the night in Dingle and drive the Slea Head scenic drive the next day. Departing Dingle, our next stop will be Killarney. What are thoughts on driving Ring of Kerry after having just done Slea Head day before. Is one better than the other? I welcome all suggestions.

Posted by
398 posts

Without question you should stop at the Cliffs of Moher. You should also at least drive through the Burren. We did the reverse (going from Dingle to Galway). You can also take a ferry from Killimer to Tarbert rather than drive all the way around Limerick (probably saves an hour, maybe two). If I recall correctly, it was not very expensive. For lunch, Doolin is near the Cliffs of Moher and has a few neat pubs. You would also drive through a couple of small towns (Lahinch comes to mind) after the Cliffs on your way to Killimer (or Limerick if you opt not to take the ferry). if you are looking for something cheap for lunch, there is a small cafe at the Cliffs of Moher with sandwiches, soups, etc.

We drove the Slea Head road, did not do the Ring of Kerry. I loved the Slea Head. Make sure you give yourself time in Dingle at night too to see the town, eat some of the wonderful food, and enjoy the awesome music scene (shows don't usually start until at least 9 pm).