Please sign in to post.

Galway Oyster Festival

My wife and I are tentatively planning to be in Galway for 6 days Monday through Saturday in late September, which I just learned, is also the weekend of the Galway Oyster Festival. My wife and I are not party animals anymore, and I am concerned about crowds, excessive rowdiness and noise while we're there. Also I wonder if the price of lodging and restaurants would be inflated during this week? Can someone answer these questions. Thanks.

Posted by
42 posts

I was there one year when it was also Arthur Guinness day and the college students used it as an excuse to party hard. It was so bad they stopped celebrating Arthur. We took the side streets back to our hotel it was that rowdy. I think just the festival will not be that bad but book a room soon or go north and stay in Westport!

Posted by
3122 posts

Just a general comment that Dublin and Galway are draws for not just Irish, but party animals from the UK and all over Europe. Any excuse, and if the weather is halfway mild then the celebrating will spill out into the streets until all hours.

You can compare prices of lodging if you go online and pretend to book for a different date range, make a note of how much it is but don't complete the reservation, and then back out and try booking the nights you actually want.