Please sign in to post.

Galway or Doolin?

I'm going to be doing a day tour of the Cliffs of Moher that stops in either Galway or Dublin. Can anyone help me choose? Thanks.

Posted by
312 posts

If you want a shorter trip, go out of Doolin, as it's much closer to the cliffs.

Another point in favor of Doolin: it will be easier to judge water conditions. If the water is choppy, don't go. If you're not sure, watch the people disembarking and see how they look, or ask them. The day I went, I would say that about half the people on board got seasick. I've read others make similar comments, so I guess it's not uncommon. The crew was obviously prepared: they had lots of plastic grocery bags to hand out as seasick bags.

Plus, there was so much spray from the waves that it was wet out on deck. It was also almost impossible to stand up and take photos out there because of the way the boat was flailing around ... and then inside there were all the people vomiting, and dirty windows to look through. Too bad, because they go very close to the cliffs. On a calm day it would have been spectacular.

I was proud to survive without getting sick; I told one of the crew members they should have tee shirts for the passengers whose stomachs are up to the task.