Please sign in to post.

Galway day trip

We will be in Dublin for 2 days. Is it worth taking a day to go to Galway??? Any recommendations for a day trip to Galway?

Posted by
8642 posts

Why are you in Ireland? To explore? To enjoy the countryside? To experience Eire’s beauty? See castles? See cities?

I take it you aren’t driving. Its a two hour train ride from Dublin to Galway.

Posted by
2943 posts

No, a day trip from Dublin to Galway is not worth it. There’s lots of traffic and the sights are minor. The reason people go to Galway is because it’s a jumping off point to visit the Aran Islands and Connemara.

Posted by
2813 posts

I agree with MaryPat - there are better (and shorter) day trips available from Dublin. Belfast and Kilkenny spring immediately to mind - either a much more interesting destination that Galway town and both easily reached by train from the city center.

Posted by
1819 posts

I can only speak from my experience, but the only thing I thought Galway was good for was as a base for visiting the Aran Islands. I will admit however, that my opinion may be colored by the fact the hotel in which I stayed was the worst of all my hotels in Ireland. There other places much closer to Dublin that would make a great day trip.

Posted by
6486 posts

Galway is a nice enough city, but as noted above its greatest value is as a base for Aran, Connemara, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, and other coastal/rural sights. You won't have time to do much outside Galway on a day trip from Dublin. There are easier day trips, like Glendalough or Newgrange, but really, with just two days in Dublin, why leave?

Posted by
849 posts

Galway was my favourite town of all the ones I stayed in, but I would not go there as a day trip from Dublin. The town itself does not have the major sights, you need a car for those. With only two days in Dublin you should just stay put and see all the amazing things Dublin has. It will take you two days to do that.