Please sign in to post.

Flying into Shannon

I'd like to return to Ireland, and concentrate on County Kerry, County Clare and up to County Leitrim. I know United doesn't fly into Shannon anymore. Has anyone flown into there on a legacy airline? I'd like to avoid Dublin if at all possible. Thanks!

Posted by
470 posts

Yes, I flew into Shannon in 1993, 1997 and 1999 on American Trans Air (defunct), Aeroflot and United, respectively. (It's a long story about taking Aeroflot, the Russian airline, from Chicago to Shannon.)

In 2010, I flew to Dublin and then back to Shannon because I had planned to hike for a week on the Dingle peninsula. I believe I took Aer Lingus.

Enjoy the beautiful West of Ireland.

Posted by
140 posts

Shannon is a fine little airport. Definitely better than Dublin for West Ireland. I think JetBlue, British Airways and Aer Lingus are your best bets. I had to look up the definition of a “legacy airline.”

Posted by
11055 posts

We flew into Shannon from US and out of Dublin
to the UK. We liked Shannon. Can’t recall airline!

Posted by
80 posts

Hi, Catherine!

Aer Lingus is currently flying non-stop from NYC and from Boston to Shannon. I’ve flown Aer Lingus numerous times. Good service and lots of Irish charm.

Posted by
2791 posts

Rather than avoiding Dublin completely you could take advantage of one the direct flights from DC, clear customs and immigration at Dublin airport, and then do a quick turnaround to catch one of the two daily RyanAir flights to Kerry airport near Killarney. There are several rental car outlets there which would allow you to book a one-way rental in order to explore your counties of interest, gradually working your way back to Dublin for your flight home. Might be your quickest, cheapest and more convenient option.