Please sign in to post.

First trip to Ireland

My family is making our first trip to Ireland in April. We only have 5 days. We are concentrating on western Ireland. We fly into and out of Shannon, and would like to visit the Dingle Peninsula, Galway, and the Cong area (I want to surprise my sons and husband with a trip to the School of Falconry). I am not a great planner, and this is overwhelming for me. Is it best to stay in Galway and do day trips, or should we move around and stay in different places? I am traveling with a husband who says he doesn't like sightseeing, but does love pubs and golf, and two teenage sons who do like sightseeing. I would like to do some shopping and listen to some music and see some sights. I am open to suggestions of places to stay and things to see within the areas I've mentioned. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted by
1878 posts

In my opinion, three stops is at least one too many for five days. Galway day trip to Dingle is way to too much, it's 3.5 hours each way based upon Google maps (for which you can usually count on adding 20% to the times). Good call flying into/out of Shannon. I think you should focus on Galway and Connemara in your very limited time. Dingle Peninsula is very special, Dingle town is nice but not to go out of your way for. I have not been to Connemara, but my research suggests that it's right up there with Dingle, Ring of Kerry, and so on. You will probably have a better experience covering less ground since your time is so limited, plus it sounds like you have a strong preference for visiting Cong. The bus from Shannon to Galway works like a charm, would allow you to avoid driving right of the plane (not sure where you are coming from, but driving with jet lag could be an issue).

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you! We are flying in from London, so jet lag shouldn't be a problem. We are thinking of renting a car, but I'm not sure if we'll pick it up at the airport, or do as you said and take a bus to Galway.

Posted by
6565 posts

Galway itself is worth a full day and you maybe able to do a day trip to Cong from there. Driving the Dingle Peninsula will take a few hours if you take your time and stop along the way. Then, of course, you need to stop in Dingle so your husband can get a drink. When I was there we left Galway and spent the next night in Tralee before driving the Peninsula and ending in Killarney.