Please sign in to post.

First-timers to Ireland: Staying in Cork, Aug or Sept 2016

Hello all. Hubby and I are planning our 1st trip to Ireland, will leave U.S. on a Saturday and return in 7 days. As we both have ancestors from Cork, we've decided we'd like to fly in there and enjoy the sights of the city as well as some day trips, possibly, by train or bus. Would love some suggestions for hotels in the City center as well as suggestions for day trips, etc. Jameson's is a definite must, as is a trip to Cobh. Many thanks in advance.

Posted by
238 posts

While you're in Midleton (home of the Jameson Distillery) be sure to visit the Choctaw Monument--it's very impressive and fairly new so it may not yet appear in guidebooks. It was erected to express the gratitude of the Irish people to the Choctaw nation for their donations to famine relief in 1847. It's quite a wonderful story!

Posted by
40 posts

Oh my goodness, thanks for the fantastic tip. I'm part Choctaw ( which explains my email handle "chocirish") so this is a definite MUST!!! I also see that Cork is the home of one of my heroes, Mother Jones.

Posted by
238 posts

Glad to have been of help. Seeing the monument was one of the highlights of our stay in the Midleton area. There is also a museum in Skibbereen mostly devoted to the famine and one of the displays there lists various donors to famine relief efforts. The Choctaw Nation is included on the list among other notables like Queen Victoria. If you're interested, here is a website that gives more details about the monument and the history behind it: http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/-Irish-town-builds-memorial-to-thank-Native-Americans-who-helped-during-Famine.html