Please sign in to post.

First time in Ireland

I’m super stoked to be heading to Ireland for business next month. It’ll be my first time in Ireland. Unfortunately I only have one day for sightseeing. I’ll be arriving in Dublin. I have a friend/colleague in Waterford who is going to try and meetup. He mentioned possibly taking me to Cobh but I think that’s going to be too much traveling in one day I think.

I have a big interest in history and nature so I was looking at Glendalough. Would appreciate any suggestions or tips.

Coming from the US, what are some suggestions as far as using my US-based cell phone? I was in London 1.5 years ago and still have my Vodaphone SIM card. Will that work there?

What are my best bets for travel to the south and Glendalough? can I get there by train or public transport? Trying to not have to rent a car.

Posted by
359 posts

Another option is Newgrange/Knowth. Visiting the burial chamber older than the pyramids was a truly incredible experience. It felt like touching the eternal. Very moving. It's a great option in being very close if your time is limited that day.

If your time isn't limited during that day then Glendalough making sure you travel through some of the Mountains of Wicklow is the best option. A lot to see and the scenery is fantastic. Bus tours are excellent and comfortable but a car is best.

I don't like the pressure or generalizations of labeling something a "must see" but both Newgrange and Glendalough would both be on that list for me. Either fantastic.....but w a full day Glendalough !

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the replies. What about the SIM card? Can I reuse the one I have from London (Vodaphone)?

Posted by
11294 posts

Since your SIM has not been used in over a year, it's very possible it's expired. Put it in your phone now to see what happens. If you can still get a signal, it's working; if you get no signal, it's "dead."

Even if it still works, the other problem may be topping it up. If you can get this to work online, you're all set. But this can be difficult, and there is probably no way to refill a UK SIM in Ireland in person (if you were in the UK it would be easy).

Posted by
72 posts

You can stop in a Vodafone shop and get a new SIM card with data. Even if the U.K. card worked on the Irish network, it would likely be expired, as Harold mentioned.

Posted by
57 posts

Stryker,

The second image is from the interior of the 11th century Reefert Church, near the southeastern shore of the Upper Lake at Glendalough. The third image was taken from near the Glendalough Upper Lake Car Park. Most of the ruins of the monastic site are near the Lower Lake, but you can easily drive or walk between the lakes. I'm not sure where the first image was taken, but it is not from the monastic site.

Posted by
57 posts

I found it--the first image is from Saint Bartholomew's Church in Dublin.

Posted by
1036 posts
  • Kilmainham Gaol (if you are interested in the history of the Irish War of Independence and Civil War).
  • Guinness Brewery.
  • Book of Kells at Trinity College.
Posted by
7 posts

I should add that most of my sightseeing in Dublin will be on Saturday. I am going to head down to Glendalough on Friday.

Posted by
7 posts

My itinerary is becoming clearer now. I have some last minute questions. I leave on Thursday (4/12, my birthday!).

• I'll be arriving in Dublin at 5am. What are my options to get to Ballsbridge?
  • After I check-in to my hotel I'd like to go get a SIM card for my phone. Where is the closest shop? I looked up Vodaphone locations but they're back up in Dublin. Is there another vendor that would offer 2-4GB of data?
  • I'll be heading to Glendalough my first day. I see there's a bus at 11:30, is that my best (affordable) option? That only gives me a few hours there since the bus back leaves at 6.