Please sign in to post.

Feedback on itinerary

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some feedback on my husband's and my itinerary for our Ireland trip in July. If I were to do things differently, I would have done one night in Dublin in the beginning and then one night at the end to make it easy to get to the airport, but my Airbnb has a strict cancellation policy so I think we'll have to keep it as is.

Looking for any feedback or tips on additional things to do or see along the way. We'd like to try to do Skellig Michael but I think it might be too much!

Thanks so much!
Katie

July 4 - Dublin (relax, eat/drink, walk around)

July 5 - Dublin (Guinness storehouse, book of kells, etc.)

July 6 - Drive to/night inGalway (explore the town)

July 7 - Drive to/night in Doolin - walk the Cliffs of Moher

July 8 - Drive to/night Dingle (Any good stops along this long drive from Doolin?)

July 9 - Night in Dingle (explore the Dingle Peninsula)

July 10 - Drive to/night in Kenmare Ring of Kerry?

July 11 - Night in Kenmare (Hike Killarney National Park)

July 12 - Drive to/night in Kilkenny (lunch in Cork, see Rock of Cashel/Hore Abbey)

July 13 - Drive to Airport for flight home (Should we stay closer to Dublin or is Kilkenny to Dublin doable for an 11 am flight?)

Posted by
359 posts

Some random thoughts.

Flight out. If the flight is at 11am you should be there @ 2 hours before.....So 9-9:30 arrival. Plus you have to drop off the rental car. Kilkenny to Dublin is listed as 1 hour 45 minutes.....all driving times are way more than listed times (so plan on 2:30 minimum) plus you may be hitting Dublin traffic during morning commute.....So if you don't mind leaving at 5:30-6am you could make it.

Other nights - it's good you are limiting yourselves to one or two things a day. There are many many things to see and do very close to these destinations and you want time for soaking in Ireland not frantically racing to the next thing. Picking one must see thing a day is great and then have other options or improvise leaving plenty of time to interact w folks, wander and enjoy Irish life.....that's where the great memories will be found.

Your trip is a little driving heavy....and one night stays are not the ideal. With limited time I would skip Galway - a pretty but large town that doesn't offer anything other towns don't also offer. I'd go straight to Dingle - spend time there and then the Ring of Kerry and the Skellig Ring. If you do that - skip the Cliffs of Moher which are beautiful but CLOGGED w tourists - especially then. When staying on the ROK you can instead visit the far more wild and beautiful Cliffs of Kerry (better than Moher) - and not overrun with tourists. You could spend a week just exploring all the wonders of the Ring of Kerry and Skellig Ring. Only one day means you'll have to speed past wonders. It would be so much better, less driving, more time to explore and savor and get away from maximum crowds.....and really experience the people and wild Ireland. Narrowing it to Dingle and the ROK seems limiting but it's actually freeing....less driving, more time to savor and no way to exhaust all the amazing things to see and do there.

Also since you seem to want to primarily see the west have you considered flying in and out of Shannon instead of Dublin ? Massively cuts down on driving times and frees up more of the arrival and departure days. Anyway just some thoughts.

Hope you have a fantastic trip. Ireland is wonderful....if you cut the driving distances and have fewer one night stays you'll actually see and experience far far more.