Please sign in to post.

Extending our group tour in July 2018

Our choir is touring Ireland for 10 days in July: Belfast, Armagh, Galway, Limerick, and Dublin. My DH and I would like to extend our stay by 4 or 5 days, perhaps heading to the Dingle Peninsula to rest as it sounds so lovely! That means a Dublin - Dingle - Dublin trip, as we have to fly out of Dublin per our tour group options.
If we go to Dingle, should we drive? Train + drive combo? Is Dingle our best bet? What would you do after a 10 day bus tour to relax and actually soak up some Irish culture?

Posted by
1172 posts

Dingle is a great choice in my opinion. If you are up for it, I would for sure look to rent a car so that you can drive from Dublin but also enjoy all the beautiful drives from Dingle.

Posted by
409 posts

I'd say you can check prices for renting a car in Dublin and driving; or in Killarney/Tralee and train it.... and then decide! It's about the same time whether you're driving or training. There's a nice motorway, so it's not a difficult drive. You can also stop at the Rock of Cashel if you drive, which is pretty impressive!

When you're looking for a place to stay in Dingle, be sure to look at the place on Google maps before you do. I've talked to a few folks recently who didn't realize that Dingle is a town AND a peninsula; they were upset to discover their B&Bs were no where near Dingle town, and they had to keep a designated driver for nights out. If you want to be in walking distance to Dingle town, map it before you buy! (and I've said it before - Milltown House is my fav place to stay in Dingle. Conveniently located near the distillery! ;-) haha!)

Susan
Expat living in Waterville

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks both, it's good to hear the drive is easy and a suggestion of the Rock of Cashel side trip is helpful.