Please sign in to post.

Dublin to Kinsale

We are traveling from Dublin to Kinsale in one day. We are planning on stopping in Kilkenny and Cashel. Is it feasible to travel through the Wicklow Mountains and Avoca? Or is that taking on too much in one day?

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland.
Thats certainly a long day. I'd guess 5.5 - 6 hours driving alone. Not including stops.
If a tour group or some guests asked me to guide them on that route, Id politely refuse.
But as with most things in life its possible and feasible, if you really have it in your heart to see the Wicklow mountains and Avoca. In my professional opinion a short drive through the Wicklow Mountains is pointless other than you can tell yourself you've seen them, and there is a value in that of course. I usually recommend a full day in the Wicklow mountains alone. Beautiful.
Avoca is a nice little village with an interesting Mill (& gift shop), aside from once being the location for a hit BBC tv series, it isn't anywhere in the same league as Kilkenny, Cashel or Kinsale.
To conclude, your journey can be done, I personally wouldnt touch it with a barge-pole as it would have me hallucinating with tiredness and driving-fatigue, but I'm lucky - I can tour Ireland every week if I want, this might be your only time to see the Wicklow mountains.
Whatever you do, enjoy and drive safe.
Le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle & Derry