Please sign in to post.

Dublin to Cork

There does not seem to be a direct train from Dublin to Cork. Would we have to make separate reservations to all the towns the train stops along the way? Is it easier to take a bus?
Thank you

Posted by
8680 posts

Public transport in Eire is time consuming. A car is the best way to see Ireland but if you choose public transport you'll have to do a lot of research to decipher which way is best, bus or train.

I've only take the train and bus to and from Belfast to Dublin. Otherwise have driven the entire island twice. Solo female traveler born when Truman was in office so the concept of stick shift wasn't a problem. Nor did driving on the left side of the tiny roads freak me out.

I'm thinking for this route the bus would be your best bet. Hopefully other posters who have relayed solely on public transport can chime in.

Slainte.

Posted by
2828 posts

Per Laura there are direct trains from Dublin Heuston station to Cork, departing pretty much every hour and taking about 2 hrs. and 30 mins.
As she noted the Irish Rail website seems to be down at the moment, which may have been your problem. Give it a day or so and try again: http://www.irishrail.ie/