Please sign in to post.

Dublin to Belfast

Hi I am planning a 14 day trip to Ireland in mid September. I have read a variety of comments regarding the drive from Dublin to Belfast (car vrs train for this leg of the journey) We were planning 2 days in Dublin then heading North for 5-7 days but if the train is our best option jetlag would not be a factor and we could head to Belfast in the evening of the second day. Would it be best to rent in NI and drop off in NI for first half of trip and then rent in SI and drop off in Shannon
Thank you for any input

Posted by
2825 posts

Picking up the car in the Republic and dropping it off in NI (or the reverse) will entail a hefty one-way international drop charge. There are no restrictions on driving a vehicle rented in Dublin around NI however...just need to drop it back in the Republic.
You wouldn't want a vehicle in Belfast or Dublin anyway - more of a hassle than they're worth.
If you don't plan to spend much time in Belfast then driving up might make sense - there are some great side trips on the way up from Dublin (Valley of the Boyne, Newgrange, etc) where a car would be handy, and then you can explore the very pretty coastline north of Belfast on your way to Derry.

Posted by
103 posts

Thanks Robert for your reply We had planned to spend at least 5 days touring the North so a car would be best. I was wondering if rental agencies generally charge more if they know you will be in the North for a few days? is it considered a higher risk rental?
Thanks Caroline

Posted by
2825 posts

As I recall there are no restrictions or extra insurance fees involved in taking a vehicle rented in the Republic into and around NI, but you might want to read the fine print on your rental contract just to be sure.