Please sign in to post.

Dublin over Easter

Hi!
In the beginning stages of planning (my first) trip to Ireland and it happens to fall over Easter weekend.. are pubs/restaurants etc open on Good Friday and Easter sunday? Unfortunately we don't have wiggle room on our dates to go- are there areas we should go to that will have more open places?
Also very open and looking for advice on places to see for our first time in Ireland.
Thanks in advance :)

Posted by
1834 posts

How many days will you be in Ireland (not counting travel days?) Will you be renting a car or taking public transportation? Have you purchased a good guide such as the Rick Steves' Ireland guidebooks? They have lists of top sites, walking tours, hotel and restaurant suggestions. I always start there for an overview. I have never been to Ireland over Easter so I will let others respond to that question. However, I would guess this might be more of an issue in small towns than in Dublin.

Posted by
449 posts

Hi Ross13:

I was in Dublin during the Easter weekend of 2016 (you know, the weekend of the 100 year anniversary of the Easter Rising): from Thursday to Tuesday. I stayed in an upscale hotel in the Ballsbridge neighborhood. My recollection is that I had no problem finding restaurants that were open during that weekend. The only time that there was a significant shutdown was on Good Friday when even all the pubs were closed. However, while I don't recall the details, I did find restaurants for all my meals. On Easter Sunday not only were many, if not all, restaurants open but they were packed.

Here is a link to my blog which describes my experience in Dublin that weekend. Keep in mind that this was a very special occasion so it's hard to tell what will still be available when you visit that city (eg, was the military parade a one-time event or does it occur every year). For things to see I would suggest the Kilmainham Gaol, the central post office, and Trinity College with its Book of Kells.

http://v2.travelark.org/travel-blog/georgelondon/3

Let me mention that evidently the Monday following Easter Sunday is part of the extended weekend holiday. I had some business at the US Embassy and they did not reopen until Tuesday morning. I had to get some passport size photographs (you can probably guess the story behind this) and the photoshops were all closed for the weekend. I got the photo at a pharmacy.

Have a good trip.