Please sign in to post.

Driving Times

Keep reading how driving on the quaint back roads in Ireland will add so much time to what a map program will tell you is the drive time of your routes.

Is there any mapping option out there that lets you pick more highways? You always see the 'avoid highways' or 'avoid tolls' option but never the opposite.

There seem to be options for routes I am looking at where I'm given 2 or 3 routes, but there's no option to pick the one with bigger roads/highways that's not the "shortest" or the "fastest" but may be our best choice because there would be less of a chance of getting bogged down on a major road instead of weaving amongst the livestock on unnamed country roads.

Posted by
140 posts

Try to stick to the main roads. Program the map app to take you to the central car park rather than the restaurant address. Otherwise, you’re likely to find yourself directed to a situation where you’re going to have to parallel park on the wrong side of the road while shifting with the wrong hand and looking over the wrong shoulder. The walk from the car park will do you good. My experience is that the time estimates are optimistic even for the main roads.

Posted by
15585 posts

I was on a tour, seemed like we were rarely on the highway. Even the "main roads" in much of the country are 2-lane roads. We never got bogged down on the highway. Country roads always seemed to be pretty slow. Why do you think you'll get bogged down on a major road?

Posted by
8680 posts

Other than roundabouts, like Chani I want to know why you are assuming you'll get bogged down on the major highways.

Before the existence of cellphones, laptops and map programs you bought a paper map and went from point A to Point B experiencing whatever did or did not happen in route. Using the M7 I drove from Belfast, Northern Ireland to Dingle in 5 hours. Stopped twice in route. Never went over 70 mph.

Be adventurous.

Traveling in Eire is all about slowing down to enjoy it's beauty and the people.

What's the rush?

Posted by
139 posts

Just wondering if there was a way to pick "biggest roads" directions in case the family gets tired of riding and are ready to arrive at the next destination. Presumably there are some occasions (like the current weather in Eire) when the main roads would be a better choice.

Apologies in advance for doing my trip incorrectly if this offends.

Posted by
6562 posts

Thee really aren’t that many highways in Ireland, so unless you only want to see the towns they pass by, be prepared for small winding 2-lane roads that aren’t always a full 2-lanes.

Posted by
72 posts

Whereabouts will you be heading? People might be able to offer some suggestions on the most direct/fastest route. In general, the M roads (motorways) are the quickest. They might be very busy in the city areas but zip along fairly quickly elsewhere, we have found. The N roads are the ones you will find most often. In all of our trips, traffic has never been an issue.

As mentioned above, paper maps still work well. That’s all we use.

Posted by
8680 posts

No one said you were doing anything incorrectly. Merely asked why you assumed the “major” thoroughfares would get bogged down. As explained the Motorways are the safest and easiest routes.

Posted by
139 posts

When I wrote that there would be "less of a chance of getting bogged down on major roads" i didn't realize that it could be interpreted somehow that I meant the exact opposite.