Please sign in to post.

Driving in Ireland

We are a family of 4 flying in and out of Dublin. Heading to to the North west coast, Dingle peninsula and more but hope to visit Dublin for one day.

I am looking for recommendations where to stay ear the Dublin airport on our last day. Also any advice of where to pick up a rental car if we are first seeing Dublin for one day after arriving at the Dubin airport. Should we pick up a car in Dublin or elsewhere.

Also any recommendation of BNBin Dingle and Connemore or Donagel

Thank you

Posted by
31 posts

I got you. Pick up the car at the Dublin Airport. I recommend Jurys Inn Christchurch in Dublin. In Dingle, stay at Mrs Brenners. There ya go.

Posted by
8572 posts

Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport. Free 24 hour airport shuttle. Pick up your car rental at the airport.

Dingle BnB: Cill Bhreac House. Cill Bhreac is a 3 minute drive into Dingle. Free Wi Fi. Parking. Great Breakfast.

25 minute drive to Inch Beach. Coumeenoole Beach and Slea Head 25 minutes the other way.

Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe an easy hour
drive. The Cliffs of Portmagee about an hour and a half.

Unless you specifically request an automatic you’ll get a clutch. Cars can be small as well so with 4 people pack light. Roads are often two lanes with high hedged borders, get all the insurance you can.
Use Google Maps Satellite view time see what I’m referring to.

Lastly, remember you will be driving on the opposite side of the road than you are used to.

Slainte

Posted by
6386 posts

Pick it up at the airport to avoid having to drive on Dublin’s beltway (M50) that is a toll road. When we went into Dublin from the airport, we took a bus that dropped us off at St. Stephen’s green. Our hotel was a block away, and the main part of town a couple block in another direction.

Posted by
2347 posts

Are your tickets bought or can you maybe fly into Dublin and out of Shannon or the other way around? That way you don't have to backtrack. If they are bought I would suggest the first day in Dublin then renting a car to start your journey. Am sure someone can suggest where to rent the car so you don't have to go back to the airport. Do not recommend driving in Dublin. Second Claudia recommendation of Celi Brach in Dingle. I believe they have new owners now.but location is great and we loved the second floor balcony to have coffee and watch the water. The Lighthouse is also very good. Have been to both three times each. You can't go wrong. Be sure to get an automatic car it is a necessity. I have rented stick shift in Ireland and England and believe me it was a mistake I made not once but twice!!

Posted by
2791 posts

First of all I'd suggest springing for a taxi to take you from the airport to your accommodation in Dublin. There are other ways to do it but after the long transatlantic flight you'll all be comprehensively bushed, and the door to door service of a taxi will be the easiest option for your family.
After a good night's sleep catch another taxi back to the airport rental car lot the next day to collect your vehicle. The airport concessions open very early - 5:30 AM in some cases, so you'll be able to hit the road early. As was mentioned you'll have a better chance of getting an automatic at the airport, and believe me that's what you want if this is to be your first experience driving on the left. Be aware that the rental car lots aren't located at the airport but about a mile away along Swords Road ... another reason to take a taxi for the direct service.
I personally find it easier to transition to the whole driving on the left thing from the airport as well. Once on the motorway you'll be able to get the hang of things pretty quickly. I certainly wouldn't start out in the city. Central Dublin is something of a rabbit warren and driving there can be daunting even for experienced drivers - don't do it.
We've had good luck using the street view feature on Google maps to preview our driving routes and becoming familiar with the sight picture from the driver's seat, not to mention being able to preview signage, traffic circles, etc before approaching them at speed.
Once you've picked up your car take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the layout of all the knobs, switches, turn indicators, etc before leaving the lot. I also take a few circuits around the rental car lot just to get comfortable with the car before setting off - might help you too.
I too recommend taking the full insurance cover. We usually book thru AutoEurope - their prices are quite competitive and they clearly spell out the options and associated costs involved, something that can be confusing and difficult to sort out on the individual company websites.
You really don't need to stay at the airport the night before your departing flight - staying in Dublin will permit you to enjoy one last evening in the city. A taxi for a family of four will cost about the same as the Airlink bus anyway and will get you to the terminal in about 20 minutes.

Posted by
17 posts

Last year, when our Ireland trip ended, we checked into the Maldron Hotel right by the airport. Then we drove our rental car over to the nearby rental car checkin, took the shuttle bus back to the airport, and walked maybe 10 min back to the hotel. In the morning we took the hotel shuttle to the airport. The hotel was comfortable and clean and had a good restaurant attached.

Posted by
2791 posts

About the only advantage to staying the last night at the airport is that hotels up there are a lot cheaper than those in Central Dublin ... especially for a family of four. There's a Premier Inn that advertises family rooms for less than USD$100 per night for example - a big cost savings versus anywhere in the vicinity of Temple Bar or St. Stephen's Green.
The tradeoff is that you're pretty isolated - the area is not especially pedestrian friendly so you're largely restricted to the particular hotel you're staying in - not a problem if your only interest is a good night's sleep and a quick trip on the shuttle bus to the terminal next morning.
That said, the money saved would more than offset the cost of a taxi into the city if you'd like to explore a bit more on your last day, then return to the relative quiet of your hotel for your last night.

Posted by
776 posts

stealing all of this great advice for our trip that was supposed to happen this fall but with Covid will be fall 2021 instead
thank you all

Posted by
1 posts

Some great B & B's in Dingle are greenmount house, castlewood house and heatons guesthouse. All top quality.

Posted by
8261 posts

I’ve stayed at Premeir Inn near Dublin Airport. Shuttle bus goes between hotel and airport. Clean and reasonably priced.