Please sign in to post.

Driving from Dublin to Dingle?

We will be driving from Dublin to Dingle and I am wondering if we might drive via Rock of Cashel? We plan on getting an early start in Dublin and we don't need to be at our B&B in Dingle until after 6pm. Is this too ambitious? I have seen time estimates of Dublin to Dingle as about 5 1/2 hrs but wonder how much longer it would be to go via Cashel.

Posted by
330 posts

It will be a full day, whether it's possible depends on your personal preferences. I've done both legs, but not on the same day. It took me about 2 hours to get to Cashel from Dublin airport, it's mostly motorway driving. It took me 3.5 hours from Dingle to Cashel, and the time is less predictable as it's two lane roads most of the way. I am pretty comfortable driving in Ireland so the Google and Michelin estimates work for me. You'll need more time if you are drive slower than average and/or are not comfortabl;e driving on the other side of the road. Add in spending time at the Rock of Cashel and allowing for a little margin of safety in your driving time estimates, and it's a pretty long day.

Posted by
6 posts

Here's another option: Take the train from Dublin to Galway (or Dingle) and then rent a car. If you're heading to Dingle immediately upon arrival in Dublin you can relax on the train to help recover from jet lag. Even if you're planning a couple nights in Dublin first you won't need a car there. (Will need to look up schedules to make sure this is do-able for you.)

I suggest this for folks who are not planning to stop in central Ireland. My plans are to head to Galway after a couple nights in Dublin, then rent a car to do day trips from the Galway "base" area, then down to Dingle for more day trips, then Killarney (for the National Forest and trail riding there), eventually heading back home via Shannon airport. We'll have most of 2 weeks - I like to linger in a limited number of areas, enjoying the local festivals, pubs, attractions, etc. Will just have to come back to see the rest :-)

Have a great time! (I think the planning is more than half the fun!)

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think we can do the option of driving via Cashel. We are used to driving long distances and we can change our mind it weather is bad. We are flying out of Shannon at the end of our visit to Dingle (staying over in Ennis).

Posted by
20 posts

If possible, just fly into Shannon and save the time driving. Dublin is a City, I think Ireland is much more interesting in the sticks (Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, etc.)

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for another option but we will be 2 days in Dublin without a car before we get the rental. We are flying out of Shannon so we don't have to drive back to Dublin. I think we shall just see how things look and if we are up for driving the great of time. The following day we will be driving the Dingle Penn. so it will be quite a bit a driving in a row.

Posted by
8672 posts

It is doable depending on weather, your ability to drive on the opposite of the road and ability to negotiate roundabouts . I've done it. Without traffic it's about 2 hours to the Rock of Cashel from Dublin. Early start is good but there will be morning commute traffic which you'll need to negotiate depending on just where in Dublin you are leaving from. Cashel will take an hour. Back in the rental and off to Dingle. Cashel to Mallow, lunch at the Roundabout Inn on the N72, or take food from wherever you fill up your car (packaged sandwiches, crisps (chips to you and I), fruit) and then onto the lovely town of Dingle. Awaken early and head off to Slea Head. Get on the wee road before the gigantic tour buses. The Dingle Peninsula will take your breath away. If it's a clear day, park at Coumeenoole Beach and climb the hill up to the celtic cross for a stunning view of the Dingle Peninsula and the Blasket Islands. My memory of doing that two years ago is making me smile. Have fun!!!! Oh and do not forgot to have a pint at Foxy John's in Dingle. I guarantee that experience will make you smile! Have a great trip!!!!

Posted by
8 posts

This thread has been very helpful - we are planning to do this exact drive on Friday. Will let you know how it goes!

Posted by
1078 posts

We were just in Dingle one week ago and booked the John O'Connor tour of the Dingle peninsula. It was worth every penny! You get to really hear about the local history & see the beauty of the sea coast instead of concentrating on the road & staying left. At the end of the tour you go up on Connor Pass and hike up to glacier lake, very inspiring.

Posted by
8 posts

Hi all, just wanted to add my two cents after doing this drive last week. We used google maps for all of our driving in Ireland (Dublin to Dingle, and Dingle to Doolin) - if you load the directions/map while you have wifi, google maps will direct you on the drive while your phone is in airplane mode (with or without wifi).

The drive from Dublin to the Rock of Cashel is very easy. You're on major roads (I believe either M- or N- motorways) almost the entire time. It took us about two hours. The drive from the Rock of Cashel to Dingle took much longer - probably around 3 hrs 45 min... it wasn't quite as halfway as we thought. The roads got much smaller, we got stuck behind some big agricultural trucks/tractors, and we went on a lot more local (L-) roads that are TINY. It was an adventure!!

But all in all it wasn't so bad, and we were happy to have gotten the drive over with and arrived at our destination the same day we left Dublin. I'd recommend it, and I don't think its too ambitious. The driver should just be prepared for it to be a long day - he or she will be ready for a pint of Guinness or a pour of whisky at the end!

Posted by
8672 posts

And I hope the pour was at Foxy John's. Congratulations for making the drive and for posting that you did. Hopefully will help the original poster in deciding if the drive is for them. Continue to enjoy Dingle. Any chance you'll visit the Gap of Dunloe or Killarney National Park. Both worth the time and effort. Slainte

Posted by
346 posts

We have done that drive, and it the weather is fine, it's long, but ok. We LOVE Dingle, and John Foxxy's, as well as O'Sullivan's for the music. Dine at An Canteen and Ashe's as well as Out of the Blue.

Posted by
5 posts

Well we did the drive- wasn't all that bad. As others has said driving to Cashel wasn't difficult but the rest again on small roads. Took us about 8 hrs with stops in Cashel and long stop in Killarney . Sun was out for the last half which was nice. Weather today very rainy so glad we took pics yesterday. Ate at Out of the Blue where I had eaten before- always memorable !
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Posted by
8672 posts

Fingers crossed you'll have good weather tomorrow to tour along Slea Head.

Posted by
2261 posts

It sounds great, cbarr, let us know how you did today.

+1 for Out of the Blue!