Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Galway

We are planning a trip to Ireland in September. We'll be in Dublin for 3 nights, we'll train to Tralee and get a car for Dingle penisula for 2 nights then we'll head to Galway after dropping the car off. We plan to spend 3 nights in Galway. Day one in Galway: Cliffs of Moher. and maybe the Burren. Is the tour to Cliffs of Moher and Burren worth it or should we just do the shuttle to the Cliffs and skip the Burren? Both include about 2 hours at the Cliffs. Day 2: Aran Islands ferry to Inishmore from Galway and includes seeing the Cliffs from below. Should we rent bikes or arrange for a van tour on the island? We have 4 hours on the island with the ferry purchase.

Posted by
366 posts

Not a great fan of heights...I preferred the Burren. We liked the little viist to the Perfumery in the midst of the Burren. Such a different place than the tourist riddled Cliffs. We really enjoyed the day trip around the Connemarra when we were in the Galway area, but we had a car.

Posted by
6511 posts

I thought the Burren was very interesting though I had too little time there on my RS tour. There's a visitor center I'd like to have seen based on the RS guidebook.

The Cliffs of Moher are very high but also very well fenced off, you won't be close enough to the edge to be nervous. The best view from the top is really across the big indentations in the coast, where you can see cliffs in profile just like the one you're on top of.

I liked the van tour of Inishmor (Aran), especially passing all those huffing and puffing bikers on the hills. It covers a lot more ground, allows longer stops, lets you take your eyes off the road, and provides a voluble guide. But I'm not much of a cyclist, a more serious one might like it better than I would.

Posted by
1836 posts

The Burren is definitely worth it with its limestone scenery. It is completely different to the rest of Ireland.