Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Dublin

We will be in Ireland in mid-July, based in Dublin. We have 2 days set aside for Dublin itself. We are also planning a day trip by tour company to either Bru na Boine, or Glenalough and Powersourt Estate Gardens. But we are also thinking of a second day trip (also by tour company) to the Cliffs of Mohr and the Burren. But that seems like a very long day trip, with a lot of time in a bus. Has anyone done that, and did you think it worthwhile? Or are we better off spending more time in Dublin, or perhaps seeing whichever of Bru na Boine or Glenalough/Powercourt Estates we didn't see. Thanks for any input/thoughts.

Posted by
17 posts

We are spending 4 days in Dublin around the same time. We are going to spend one of our days on a tour/day trip to the Antrim Coast and the Giant's Causeway. I think that's about a 2 hour bus ride one way.

Posted by
183 posts

We were in Dublin for a total of 5 days in August 2018 and did a day trip to Bru na Boine as well as Cliffs of Mohr. The tour company we used to go to Galway and the cliffs was the Dublin Tour Company (RS Ireland Book recommended). Had a great time and was well worth the long day. So glad we saw them.

Posted by
6508 posts

This is the Bru na Boine tour recommended in the RS guidebook. I'm signed up for it in a couple of weeks. Takes about seven hours, visits several sites with a lunch break (your cost). I also have three full days for Dublin itself, with enough that interests me to fill the time, but your mileage may vary.

Posted by
183 posts

Dick- we did the same tour in 2018. Also highly recommend.

Posted by
345 posts

I also did and highly recommend the Mary Gibbons tour of New Grange mentioned by Dick and SDW. It was probably one of the most interesting day tours I have taken anywhere. However, I remember reading that entering the passage tombs ws stopped during Covid. You might want to check on what the tour entails this summer.

Given that many people go to the Cliffs of Mohr as a day trip from Galway, a day tour from Dublin that includes Galway, the Burren, and the Cliffs, does sound like you might mostly be on the bus with very little time to explore any stop.

Posted by
1367 posts

I have a friend who did the day trip to the Cliffs of Moher from Dublin. It's a very long day spent mostly on the bus. I don't know what tour company he used but he overheard many complaints. He took it all in stride but I don't think he would do it again. Granted, it was one of the large tour buses. Perhaps a smaller bus with a smaller group would be more enjoyable.