Please sign in to post.

day trips from Dublin

Hi, anyone have any recommendations on day trips from Dublin. We will not have a car so need to do by public transportation or tour. Anyone know anything about tours by Viator to Glendalogh, Wicklow and Killkenny. Also looks like Dart can take you to Howth, Dun Laoghaire and other towns on Bay. Looks like their are also cruises. Any thoughts, comments really appreciated!

Posted by
169 posts

When I was in Dublin I considered a day trip to Belfast, Northern Ireland to see the Titanic museum/shipyards. That could be an option.

Posted by
1036 posts

Glendalough is everything you think it will be and more. But I did it self-guided, so can't comment on Viator.

Howth always looked interesting to me, but I've never been.

There is nothing worth seeing in Dun Laoghire.

Have you considered Newgrange? Its kind of like Ireland's Stonehenge. A stone age hill tomb on the way between Dublin and Belfast.

Posted by
8675 posts

Belfast by bus or train. As mentioned Titanic Museum. Would also look at St George's Market, Black cab tour of The Troubles and Crumlin Road Goal. Remember if you visit Belfast you will be in a different country. so you will need British pounds not Euros to buy anything.

Glendalough is gorgeous.

Newgrange and Howth.

Did self drive to Glendalough and NewGrange so can't comment on Viator tours other than to say the 1 took in Florence to see the Last Supper was great.

Posted by
856 posts

I did a guided day trip to Newgrange that included several other stops as well and it was my favourite of the six or seven I did over the three weeks I was there. I can’t recall the name of the company, though, as it was a while ago. I did not have a complaint about any of the companies I booked tours with so I think you will be safe with any of them. It will probably come down to the days itinerary and what appeals to you most.