Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Dublin

Looking for input on worthwhile day trips from Dublin using public transportation. Also day trips from Edinburgh using public transportation. Prefer duration be not longer than 8 hours. (We enjoy historical sites and nature.)
Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
3227 posts

Have no info on public transport for you as we always rent a car, but have you looked at Rabbies or another small company that would do day trips?
One of the popular day trips from Dublin would be Newgrange.

Posted by
856 posts

There are many companies that do guided day trips out of both cities and I have done several of them. If you are trying to get to certain places using public bus and train routes you will find it takes a lot more time, and some places will not be accessible. The guided day trips will make several stops and have the added bonus of a knowledgeable guide. I would also suggest Rabbies, but if you do a google search for day trips from each city you will find a lot of options. Most of these tours will leave at 9 or 10am and return late afternoon.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've used Bus Eireann from the downtown bus station. They run at least two day trips. One goes north to Bru na Boinne (Newgrange), Trim castle, Hill of Tara and Battle of the Boyne. The other goes south to Wicklow and Glendalough Abbey ruins.

I've been on the first and it was a great value. The driver doubles as the guide and lets you know what you need to know at each stop. It takes the whole day but is well paced and gave us plenty of time at both Newgrange and Hill of Tara to see what we wanted. The other spots were more a look and description from the driver. I'm hoping to take the Glendalough trip in May. The price now is 31 euro. You leave after breakfast and get back before dinner. I can't recall what we did for lunch?

Posted by
87 posts

Thanks for the good information. I will look into Rabbles. In the meantime I have looked at a few tours through Paddywagon Tours, Wild Wicklow, & Sacred Irish Tours. Seems the one offered of Boyne Valley, Newgrange, Hill of Tara & Trim Castle is a reasonable day trip. Also the Wicklow mountain, Glendalough tour.
I know that the day trip to Cliffs of Moher is very long, but as we will probably not be going back to Ireland (I know - why not?!), I would like to know if anyone has taken that trip & was it worth it?
Thanks again for information.

Posted by
87 posts

Would still like feedback from someone who has taken the Cliffs of Moher tour out of Dublin (day tour). Was it worth it?

Posted by
2827 posts

It's a 4 hour one-way bus ride from Dublin to the Cliffs.
Would think that time could be better used enjoying any of the myriad attractions in and around Dublin.

Posted by
856 posts

I would not try the trip to the cliffs from Dublin. It's too far, and by the time you get there the weather could be bad enough that you may not even be able to see them.