Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Dublin

We will be based in Dublin for a few days this summer and would like to spend one of them going to the Giant's Causeway. Can anyone recommend a tour company they've used and really liked? Thank you.

Posted by
86 posts

Paddywagon Tours does a daytrip. I've taken their tour to Wicklow/Kilkenny and they did a good job. We actually used them as transportation to Kilkenny, so we didn't go back to Dublin, and we were able to stow our (small) luggage under the bus. Most of their clients were young (college age or a little older), fyi, but it wasn't a party bus.
https://www.paddywagontours.com

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
The Giant's Causeway is an unusual rock formation. Once you see this result of slow cooling basalt you will recognize it in other places, like the Columbia River Gorge between OR an WA. But Giant's has almost perfect crystals.

If that is all the bus will stop for you to see, it seems to me to be a pretty high cost as measured in time. It is at least 3 hours away one way. You don't say how many days you have in Ireland. Dublin has much to offer. Skip the brewery tour and go to Kilmainham Gaol. Gravedigger's Pub for supper.

Much closer to Dublin is the Boyne River valley about an hour to the north of Dublin.. You can Google what all is to be found there. And an hour and half to the south of Dublin is Glendalough. I am quite sure there are daily tours that will get you to either.

I don't regret going to the Giant's Causeway twice in my life, but I was in the area each time. I would recommend it over the Cliff of Moher.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
3 posts

Hi all!

We are traveling to Ireland in October and I wanted to post the same question: does anyone have a recommended Day Tour from Dublin to Giant's Causeway?

I've looked at Wild Rover, Paddywagon, and Finn McCool Tours, but nothing seems to really fit what I'm looking for and some reviews aren't great. The problem is, all these tours take an hour in Belfast, which we would rather save for another trip. I can't seem to find one that doesn't stop in Belfast. I'd also prefer a small group tour but can't find that (and can't pay $$$ for a private tour).

I'll note that we have planned our trip in a way that we arrive in Dublin on October 13, and are renting a car for 4 days to see other sights around the Republic of Ireland. We then leave Ireland for a while to visit the UK/Spain, and are returning to Dublin for 3 days (October 29-31) so that we can return home from the Dublin airport. We won't be renting a car again for those 3 days, so we want to take a Day Tour to see the Causeway.

I'd also love anyone's feedback on being in Dublin on Halloween day....I'm actually really excited about this!