Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Dublin

I will be in Dublin for 4 days in July. As we were there last summer for 3 days, I have seen some of the musts and feel like this time we will have time for a day trip to Dublin's outskirts. We will not be renting a car so need to rely on public transportation...
I was looking at Dalkey, Powerscourt, Howth etc.

Any recommendations? We would like pretty scenery, maybe some hiking... we are pretty open

Thank you!

Posted by
19 posts

Powerscourt and Glendough were lovely however I cannot speak to whether you can reach by public transit...

Posted by
1540 posts

We stayed in Howth and it is a cute small seaside town. Easy train ride from Dublin.
We enjoyed walking along the harbor and had a great lunch in a pub on the main street
(next to Ann's B&B)

Posted by
53 posts

I second Powerscourt and it should be lovely at that time of the year. We went there, using public transportation several years ago, picking up a bus at a stop about a block or two away from St. Stephens Green. If I remember correctly, the bus trip took about 1 hour, arriving at a small village and then walking an additional 20 minutes until we reached Powerscourt. I'm sure if you ask your hotel they will be able to assist you.