Please sign in to post.

Critique my itinerary please :)

Hello! Here is what I have so far :)

May 27th - June 5th - Scotland (Edinburgh, Glencoe, Glennfinnan, Skye, Inverness)

June 5th - 15th - Ireland

Would love any recommendations you have :) Also any advice as far as "skip this/do that"

Our main likes are being around not just tourist but locals as well, live traditional music, would love to hear Gaelic music, beautiful sights. Was thinking about going to the Dunguaire Banquet while in Galway if its worth it?

5th - Fly from Inverness into Dublin arrive around 12pm / Grab car and head to KILKENNY by way of Glendalough & spend the night

6th - head to DINGLE (recommendations for one nice stop along the way where we are also eat lunch? best route?)

7th - DINGLE

8th - DINGLE

9th - leave Dingle head for GALWAY / on the way see Cliff of Moher (any other must stop? best route?)

10th - GALWAY

11th - head to CONG to stay at Ashford Castle (is there anything we should do or see on the way or in the area? Do we have time to see any of Connemara while staying either in Galway or Cong?)

12th - CONG / Ashford Castle

13th - head for DUBLIN (best route? any must stop? good place for lunch?)

14th - DUBLIN (must dos?)

Thank you!

Posted by
3234 posts

Glad to see you have Dingle for 3 nights! A great place for pubs and music. Be sure to stop in at the Dingle Music Shop. They have concerts on Thursday and Saturdays and one other night. Buy a ticket. You won’t regret it! Highlight of our visit to Dingle!!🎼🎼🎻🎻

Posted by
268 posts

Maybe allow for some time to stop in the Burren on your way from Dingle to Galway.

Posted by
3234 posts

I haven’t done it, but many here on the forum say the Ashford Castle Hawk Walk was a highlight of their visit to Ireland. I think you might have to reserve in advance however.

Posted by
1819 posts

As you drive from Kilkenny to Dingle, you could stop at Cashel, although it isn't very far from Kilkenny. Another possibility would be Newcastle West. Either stop would be a few miles detour.

Definitely visit the Burren which is the most interesting part of County Clare IMHO.

Allow time for Connemara, one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland. I would spend less time in Galway and stay in Roundstone (Ballynahinch Castle Hotel is charming) or Clifden. You can visit the largest Aran Island from Rossaveal ferry port, a few miles west of Galway. . The Delphi area, a few miles north of Connemara, is also beautiful.

The town of Cong is still trading on its claim to fame - being featured in a 1950s movie called the Quiet Man. The abbey is right next to the road which really detracts from the atmosphere.

Posted by
459 posts

I also suggest doing the Hawk walk at Ashford Castle, it was awesome and well worth the cash! Spring for the long walk. Not much music available up in Cong but you'll have not trouble in Dingle with that. On Skye you must drive up to Quiraing and after hiking around there a bit cut across the peninsula and visit the Fairy Glen! We enjoyed some great trad music at the Old Inn near Carbost on Skye and also (if you hit the right night) trad music at the Ben Nevis Inn at Fort William. If you stay up in Doolin a great music night is a visit to The Music House just outside Doolin. Hit me up on PM if you want link!

Posted by
56 posts

Loved Dingle. Wished we had more time; we were staying in an isolated location. Charming. Dingle has a much cheaper hawk experience than Asheford. Might compare the two.

Burren okay. Connemara & Kylemore Abbey a highlight.

Galway, one day would have been fine, but we are not city people and had a hard time with nighttime noise levels near our apt. We will definitely skip Galway next time- though the Pie Maker offered tasty pies.

Valley of Boyne amazing. Tickets a must at Newgrange - another trip highlight. Go early for best picture light.

Rock of Cashel great & the French cafe at the base was absolutely yummy. Massive bowl of mussels for 16 euro.

Irish food far exceeded our expectations. Truly superb and from the land. Picnic packing great. Pack a small cooler bag & freeze a water bottle and carry lox with you!