Please sign in to post.

Credit Cards in Ireland

Capital One is telling that since my card has a chip, I don't also need a PIN. Seems to contradict Rick's advice. What is your recent experience using credit cards in Ireland?

Posted by
1383 posts

If you are at a store or restaurant and there's a person, it's chip and sign. If your transaction is with a card reader only (for example at a petrol station without an attendant) you will need a PIN.

Posted by
7574 posts

.....and so basically, what the above poster and Capital One is telling you is that you can only use your CC where there is someone present, which is most of the time. However, in that case, using just a Magnetic strip card would as well, though I would agree that the chip makes things easier. There is a possibility that in some kiosks for tickets or parking, maybe petrol, if the transaction is low Dollar ($25 USD or less) then your Chip card may work fine with no pin, or just punching in any random 4 numbers, or your cash advance PIN (though the transaction will not be cash advance)

Posted by
13 posts

I just called Capital One about this same issue. They told me that the credit card systems in Ireland should recognize that our card is a “chip and sign” and will not ask for the PIN. If you do put in the PIN, Capital One may charge you their cash advance fee of 26%, which does not sound so good to me.

That’s being said, I’m skeptical that this will work and plan on having cash or my debit card handy, just in case.

Hope this helps.
Suzanne

Posted by
3521 posts

Capital One will NOT EVER charge you a cash advance when you make a purchase, PIN or no PIN. It is not how purchases work.

I have a Capital One card. I used it in Europe with the PIN to make 12 purchases on my last trip (train tickets and similar things) at unmanned kiosks in various countries. I was never charged for a cash advance. The only time you will be charged for a cash advance on any credit card is if you receive cash as part of the transaction.

Capital One is thinking locally, not global, with their answers. It is a common problem with every US issued credit card.

Get the PIN. Use it when making purchases if the machine asks for it. Just don't use it to get cash from an ATM or anywhere else. Better to have it than not.

The cash advance has a 26% interest charge per year, not a 26% fee on the transaction up front. They do charge $10 or a percentage of the cash amount, whichever is higher, when you do the cash advance at the ATM.

Posted by
1172 posts

Just got back from Ireland last night... my card has a chip. It only ever asked for a pin and I never had to sign. Can you get a PIN to be on the safe side?