Please sign in to post.

Credit cards in Ireland

A few of the travel books say that we need a credit card with a chip that has a pin and that the magnetic strip versions used in the United States won't work. Is that true in practice?
thanks for any help!

Posted by
9363 posts

No, it's not true. I have used magnetic strip cards all over Ireland. They won't work in automated situations like ticket machines or unmanned gas pumps, but wherever there is a person to help you, they will take your card just fine.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you. Just curious, are most gas stations manned or unmanned as we are.renting a car so we do need to refuel?

Posted by
19 posts

I used my regular credit card and ATM card in Ireland in September 2013 without any problems. I did have a backup credit card with a chip, but did not have to use it. Just make sure you tell your credit card company and bank you will be in Ireland those days, and if going to northern Ireland that you will be in UK also.

Posted by
300 posts

Adding my May 2015 experience here:

Irish merchants are very familiar with US-style magnetic stripe credit cards. I never had any issues anywhere that I tried to use it. There are many American tourists throughout Ireland and their credit cards get heavy use.

Gas stations are staffed, the usual method was pump first & pay inside. I didn't try buy gas late at night but I thing I did on a Sunday, at an open station.

Posted by
5 posts

Nancy, krd7806 & Peter,
thank you for your help. We actually travel quite a bit but I have been overly concerned because we are driving on the other side of the road from what we are used to. It seems to have made me over cautious on the entire trip.
Can't wait to relax and enjoy Ireland!

Posted by
9363 posts

You'll get used to it quickly enough, I'm sure. My problem has always been when I came back and drove here. I was so used to concentrating on being on the correct side, that I still tried to stay on that side when I came back here (and I kept walking around to the wrong side of my car).

Posted by
15 posts

All my credit cards have a Chip in them which is worthless if you don't have a Pin assigned to it.

Everytime I had to use my credit card I just would sign the receipt and all was well.

Try to find a Visa card that offers no foreign transaction fees and you will be fine. I would say less than 50% of the spots we went to accept American Express.

Everyone accepted Visa.