Please sign in to post.

County Donegal

Where is the best area to stay in county Donegal? We plan to be there 2 nights next June with car.
After will probably go to Westport per forum recommendation.

Posted by
608 posts

The "best" place depends on what you like. Quiet countryside or town shopping and or music in bars? We're in Donegal for the music (at The Reel) so we stayed in the town at the Atlantic Guest House which met all our needs (comfortable bed, good breakfast, quiet, inexpensive).

Posted by
504 posts

I loved staying in the town Letterkenny in Donegal in 1997. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the B&B other than it was on Main Street and a couple blocks from the only stoplight in the county. Letterkenny is not far from Glenveagh National Park. It's not far from St. Johnston, a border town with Northern Ireland.

I also stayed in Westport, where I stayed in the youth hostel housed in a former mill. There I climbed Croagh Patrick, the holy mountain of Ireland. It took 2.5 hours to climb and 2 hours to come down.

Posted by
35 posts

We stayed at Rosleague Manor near Letterfrack and in Westport at the Castle Court hotel. Both were nice. Castle Court is close to restaurants and pubs without being too close and has free parking on site. Rosleague Manor is set on beautiful grounds near the national park and Kylemore Abbey. Rates include breakfast and a very nice dinner.

Posted by
1835 posts

We stayed near Letterkenny - must be 15 years ago and weren't that impressed by the town. We rather wished we'd stopped nearer the coast in one of the smaller villages. Mind you places do change over the years, so that comment could be unfair to Letterkenny!

Posted by
76 posts

after reading these suggestions I booked 2 nights in Donegal at the Central Hotel.

Posted by
4 posts

We stayed at the Atlantic Guest House in August. We were very happy with it. The important thing is to be close to the center of town. We were able to walk everywhere. I not sure where your hotel is.