Please sign in to post.

Congestion During North 200 Motorcycle race

I have been planning a 12 day trip to Ireland independently. One of my goals has been to spend some leisurely time around Portstewart/Cloraine searching for family roots. We have reservations in a B & B for the nights of May 9,10,11. I just learned that North 200 motorcycle race is happening during that time. I am worried that the area will be so flooded by race attendees that everything will be overcrowded and we won't even be able to enjoy the promenade in Portstewart, find a restaurant without crowds, or drive without problems. Can anyone advise me if this is going to be a disasterous time to visit given my purpose for visiting? Will things be congested immediately before and after the race?

Posted by
42 posts

We were there last year during the race and it was fine. People are spread out over the course. There is a big area with food, vendors that most attendees are at during the race.

Posted by
42 posts

I will say there was a freak storm with hail and a two hour red flag. Crazy weather. Dress warm.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank for your reply and apologies for the misspelling of your hometown. We actually will be staying in Portstewart on the day of the first trial run. But we have decided it will be an interesting experience all the way round so are sticking with our original dates and plan. Thank you again.