Please sign in to post.

Cobh to Kinsale

We are on a cruise that will stop in Cobh on Monday, October 2nd between 8am & 6pm. I would like to start the day visiting Kinsale for a few hours then returning to Cobh to visit the Titanic Experience. We are not comfortable renting a car & driving. A bus is out as it takes almost 2 hours each way. Are there taxi’s? Uber? Car service?

Posted by
2367 posts

Ron 2 Rome (not sure if that is correct ) shows a taxi is about $90.00 US dolars.each way. Did you check this cruise line, maybe they have something? The advantage of going with something the cruise line sets up is that the ship will.wait for you. It is a hike uphill but the view of the harbor up to St. Colmans is fantastic. Be sure to look for the statue in memory of the Lusitania as well as the statue of Annie Moore and her brothers down by the water. She was the first one on Ellis Island. Enjoy.

Posted by
10227 posts

I think Gail meant Rome2Rio. Unfortunately I don’t have any further advice except to agree that something through the cruise line might be a safer bet.

Posted by
3049 posts

This is a tight day but what would be possible is to train from Cobh to Cork (30 minutes, 1 per hour) then either time it so you catch the bus directly to Kinsale (1 hour) or take a taxi (30 minutes, was quoted 50 euros when I did this a couple weeks ago), and then do it in reverse.

Kinsale is lovely it's true, but the Titanic Experience will be a good hour, and there's a few other bits to explore in Cobh, so I'd consider taking the train to Cork and enjoying the cozy pubs or a fantastic lunch at one of the many amazing restaurants there instead of trying to get all the way to Kinsale in this window.

Posted by
22 posts

I’m not a fan of cruise line tours but I checked and they do have an afternoon one if I want to do the Titanic Experience in the morning and that tour in the afternoon. If a taxi is 90€ each way, that’s 180€ round trip- The ship excursion is $129 x 2 = $258. So the taxi doesn’t sound terrible, especially if we can get another couple to split with us. If you head to Kinsale in the morning, we can return to Cobh by 2 and have plenty of time to do the Titanic Experience and get on the ship. Thoughts?

Posted by
6522 posts

Can you get a taxi at the Cobh cruise port without competing with other passengers or waiting a long time? Will there be a taxi in Kinsale (not a big place though a popular one) to take you back to the ship when you want to go? Those are the risks of that $180 option. I'd go with the cruise line excursion because you can get on the bus, learn a lot as you're driven to Kinsale, get shown around Kinsale with some added free time, learn more going back to the ship, and be sure the ship won't depart if you're late. That's all worth some extra money, I think.

I tried googling "tours cobh to kinsale" but didn't come up with much except combos that include Blarney, which to me would be a waste of time. But you might look more carefully for something like I described above, not purchased through the cruise line so less expensive. Local tour operators know they need to get you back before the ship sails, so the risk of being left at the dock is pretty low.

Posted by
6522 posts

Looking at a map, it's clear that the cross-river ferry won't get you to Kinsale, though it might save time if you have wheels.

Posted by
2367 posts

I would definitely take the cruise tour. We did take the ferry from Cobh to Kinsale but we had a rental car. The ferry starts down the street from the Titanic exhibit but drops you off not in any real town and not sure how you would get a taxi from.there to Kinsale. You are not saving a lot of money by skipping the ship cruise tour and when you consider what you have paid for the cruise it is not worth the savings in money and the stress in my opinion.