Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Ireland 2023

My husband and I are interested in taking our 2 children ages 11 and 15 to Ireland over Christmas. My husband and I have been to Ireland several times in the past. We are looking to stay in Dublin for any Christmas Activities. Looking at other cities that have other Christmas adventures. Not looking to drive all over the country since we will only be there for 5 nights. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Christmas itinerary? Any hotels or should be do self catering?

Posted by
504 posts

One of my fondest memories was in Dublin in November 2002 just as the Christmas season was getting under way. My sister and I saw a performance of A Christmas Carol at the Gate Theater. That performance is in the top three of the 250-plus plays I have seen. We were both teary eyed when the lights came up at the end. However, I don't know if the Gate performs the Dickens story every year.

We also went to a beautiful Evensong performance at Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin. The actual Christmas service is probably wonderful.

Finally, the crowds are smaller in Dublin during the end of the year compared with the summer and autumn, when I also visited.

I have heard that the Merrion Hotel with its huge fire place and old world charm is beautiful to stay at during Christmas, but it would be a bit of splurge.