Please sign in to post.

Christmas (2017) on the Dingle Peninsula

My family has rented a cottage in Cappateige, Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula for 24 through 26-Dec-2017. We are of course expecting to have to feed and occupy/entertain ourselves on the 25th, but are wondering on the availability of grocery, historical sites, shops, pubs, etc. on the 24th and 26th. Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted by
439 posts

Hi,

The pubs are usually open on the 24th and 26th, it will get dark around 4pm, be careful of black ice on the roads. The 24th is on a Sunday this year, I don't know that they will stay open as late.

As far as grocery stores, I would have all the shopping done on Saturday, if possible. If not noon, Sunday. I would also have enough to last you until the 27th. My husband and I were visiting his brother one year, we had start rationing the milk because he did not realize we would drink so much of it. How far are the closest shops? That might be a factor too, depending on weather.

I would not count on any other shops or historical sites to be open past noon on Christmas Eve and closed on the 26th. I believe the 26th (St. Steven's day) is a national holiday & most people have it off.

Most people actually have that whole week off, so there won't be any government offices open, others are limited.

Mary

Posted by
2825 posts

There's a Spar grocery mart in Castlegregory that's pretty well stocked. Don't know their hours over the holidays but they're likely to be open on the 24th for collecting your supplies for the few days you'll be there.
For an off the beaten path excursion (assuming that the weather cooperates) drive over to Glanteenasig (little glen of waterfalls) Forest Park. The turnoff to it will be at Aghacasla just up the road from you. The unpaved but well graded road winds its way thru sheep paddocks and a pretty little valley until you arrive at the parking area. There are some very nice scenic walks there - one of which is a boardwalk around the lake that offers different perspectives on several of the waterfalls from which the place gets its name. Might even have a dusting of snow during your visit.
Glanteenasig was one of our favorite places in the area when we visited a few years ago.