Please sign in to post.

Castles

Favorite castle to visit?

Best castle to sleep in?

We are flying into Dublin, circling around the southern portion of Ireland up to Galway, then heading back to Dublin to fly out. We would love to tour a castle or two, and would also like to spend the night in one. I'd love to hear your favorites!

Posted by
6572 posts

We visited Trim castle the morning we arrived. Some scenes from the movie Braveheart were filmed there. As castles go, it’s only ok and looks better from the outside. Cahir castle was very nice inside and out. We drove by Dunluce castle and it’s just a ruin but nice for a short stop.

Not a castle, but if you happen by Avoca, that’s where the British show Ballykissangel was filmed.

Posted by
1172 posts

If you have the budget for it, Ashford Castle would be the one that you would want to stay in. It consistently ranks as one of the best hotels in the world.

Posted by
2114 posts

Another "thumbs up" for Ashford Castle....absolutely wonderful.

Dromoland, while smaller, is also lovely.

If your budget allows, experience both.

Posted by
409 posts

Ashford Castle is fantastic. A friend recently did a fam trip there (she's a travel writer) and I knew from talking to her what to now tell other travelers - don't go if you an only stay one night. SO many people rush rush rush and get there late, then are rushing off to do more elsewhere.... it is definitely the kind of place to stay, wander, enjoy, experience.

Another castle, much smaller scale, is Ballyseede (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) near Tralee. I've been there twice, friends have stayed many times. It's small, nothing like Ashford, but very nice and castle-y in a more modest way!

Susan
ExPat in Waterville, Co Kerry.

Posted by
2114 posts

"inireland" makes an excellent point. Whenever one stays somewhere truly fabulous, it is a good idea not to budget the time such that it becomes just a place to sleep. Ashford Castle, along with Dromoland, Adare Manor, and so many other truly fabulous places are destinations unto themselves. One
should plan to arrive in the afternoon, spend the night, then spend the entire next day totally soaking in the castle, the grounds, the activities, etc., before spending a second night, then still budget enough time on departure day to have a truly lovely leisurely breakfast and maybe one final walk around the grounds before checkout. Both Ashford and Dromoland offer the Hawk Walk,which is an incredible experience. Both castles (at least used to..not certain if still the case) offer special two-night package prices that include breakfasts and at least one fabulous dinner. Both have lakes, bikes, etc.

I actually first planned a trip to Ireland with the specific purpose of visiting/staying at Ashford Castle, but then a family illness caused that trip to be cancelled. But, when we were finally able to go, the trip was combined with more time and meeting a cousin (who showed us the old family cottage, farm, church, school, and graves).

There is a lot to see in Ireland, but it is the type place one wants to allow at least two-day stops somewhere special to soak it all in....even in one is staying in a modest B&B...the same approach is advised.

Posted by
409 posts

Wonderful Jo Shnider! Hope you have a wonderful time!

and oh - be careful - the donkeys bite!! :-)

Susan
Waterville